Rattlecan Painting my fiberglass seat!? Help

philm09

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys,
So its time for me to start painting my seat. I picked up a cafe seat from hotwingglass and came with a gelcoat. Is there a specific type of rattlecan paint you guys would suggest? any prep? I'm thinking I'd need to sand with some high grit paper, wipe down with solvent, and spray away but i wanted some advice from those who have done it. Thanks

Beyond my world of understanding. Very Fancy! I'd probably start with hitting it with a hammer to see how it responded. But, then again I'm pretty sure I'm half caveman!
MAy YoU never Run Out oF Gas

Hey Guys,
So its time for me to start painting my seat. I picked up a cafe seat from hotwingglass and came with a gelcoat. Is there a specific type of rattlecan paint you guys would suggest? any prep? I'm thinking I'd need to sand with some high grit paper, wipe down with solvent, and spray away but i wanted some advice from those who have done it. Thanks

Gelcoat is the finish color and is the first thing to be applied to the mold (after a mold release wax) and then the glass/resin chop or layers.....
What color is the seat? raw glass and resin? Are they expecting you to apply the gelcoat? A fiberglass mold and the product cast from it should be as smooth as a babys ass. The finished product should have the gelcoat color applied as part of the process. If you do need to paint then wipe down with acetone and spray away.

What color gelcoat are they sending out on these finished pieces?

I used to work in the industry some time ago, waterslides, swimming pools, odds and ends......
To do it properly you should sand/prep the surface and repaint with gelcoat or MAYBE one of those two part rattlecans with the catalyst hardner........and that's not saying that you can't scratch the finished surface and rattlecan away, just saying to do it properly.....

You could ask hotwingglass for their recommendations........

Last edited:
Never say never, but using spray can you will "never" get a real durable finish. So, I would scuff it with a 3m type scuff pad. Air blow it off, wipe with a safe solvent , tack rag it it and spray away.

I have a tracker seat from Gopherglass. I scuffed the gelcoat with a scotchbrite pad and thats when I saw pockets from air bubbles. I filled those in with glazing putty- sanded down, wiped down clean with a wax/grease remover and primered with spray can primer. Im sure you could scuff the gelcoat and paint over it but the primer lets you repair flaws easier without sanding thru the gelcoat. Spray can paint is crap compared to real paint, HOWEVER some spray cans are much better than others!!! PJ1 paints are pretty durable. Your local autoparts stores carry brake caliper paint and or epoxy spray paints that are better than traditional enamels as well. The epoxy paints for home appliances- have a wonderfull shine but are for INDOOR USE ONLY. I emailed Rustoleum asking why and they said the paint has no UV protection and does not hold up with hot/cold outdoor weather cycles.

Thanks everyone for the help. I was going to use rustoleum but not sure anymore as to what paint would be best since I'd be in chicago and eeather is so on and off heee

Posted via Mobile

Dont know about in Chick-ago but there in South Texas you can go to a paint supply shop (Color - tone is the one I frequent) you can buy base coat AND clear coat, they will put it in rattle cans, its a little costly, but IF you dont have a compressor and/or the ability to use a spray gun this system WILL allow for GREAT DURABLE RESULTS, much more so than rattle can alone.

BTW: use a GREY scotch-brite pad to scuff the gel coat then wipe with a damp paper towel (this will do away with static electricity enemy of a good paint job) then wipe with PRE type cleaner, give it 5 min and spray away ! Remember to do mutiple (thin) coats of clear this will allow sanding with 1200 wet/dry paper and buff to acheive that PROFESSIONAL LOOK.

Doubt it ? Check my posts just did my bike turned out AWSOME. (or so I think)

Can't recommend Rustoleum for this application. Takes forever to dry (like days) and during the drying process it will pick up alot of dust and dirt. If you are commited to rattle cans do as suggested above and go to your local autobody supply store for advice and superior products.

"I can understand the UV, but hot/cold? Stoves come to mind, frigs too?"
The appliance epoxy paint I am referring to is for washers, dryers and refigerators ONLY.

I bought a can of gloss black spray paint from Advance Auto parts that says epoxy paint on the label. Its has a pic of a strut and roll bar on the label. I am using it for my brake calipers and other odds and ends on my bikes. It seems pretty durable (Thumbnail scratch attempt after a couple days of curing) Its actually more of a semi gloss but looks very nice and shiny after a hand buffing with a soft cloth and a swirl remover.

Yes i DID paint mine with a spray gun, BUT the exact same results are atainable by having the PAINT SHOP mix and load into rattle cans. I was refering more so what a novice can do with QUALITY materials. Rustoleum is not what i consider quality materials for this application.

Automotive paint shops sell the reusable/rechargable rattle can. A local shop here will sell the can-charged with air (air compressor) and filled with ready to spray paint. You must spray very soon as it will harden in the can.

Awesome thanks everyone. Gonna stop by the auto store and see what they recommend. Unfortunately I don't have a paint gun so I'm stuck with the cans :(

Posted via Mobile

Back