Re-Torque Head with engine in frame

birdog4549

81 XS-H Special II
Reaction score
Is there a simple answer to torquing the head with the bike in the frame. I have an oil leak starting just below the head above the jugs. On one thread it was mentioned that the PO might have not torqued them properly and perhaps a torque now would work. I would be willing to do that if it can be done "engine in" but it will have to wait for maybe a couple of years if it needs the engine out and I will do other stuff at the same time

Yes, you can torque the head in the frame. You have to remove the upper engine mount to get access to all the 8 big nuts. Do one at a time, remove the nut, clean the threads, a bit of motor oil on the threads, replace the rubber coated washer on the 4 outside studs with the heavy brass ones like Mike's or 650central sell. Torgue all the bolts to stock specs except those 8 large nuts, they need 30 ft/lbs.
This should fix the minor seepage of a head gasket.
Just where are you seeing this leak? It may not be the head gasket. Sometimes the seals on the ends of the cam behind the points and advancer covers leak and run down and can look like head gasket leaks. Same with valve adjuster covers.
Leo

Sometimes the seals on the ends of the cam behind the points and advancer covers leak and run down and can look like head gasket leaks. Same with valve adjuster covers.

Ditto... make sure you consider this possibility. I am currently waiting for Mike's to restock on those seals (I have the o-rings and gaskets) so that I can replace them, as I think I have this very scenario going on. Come to think of it, I need to check my valve cover nuts as the gaskets are new.

But anyway, I just followed Leo's prescription in January, and it can be done.

TC

What XSLeo says but there's a bit more also.
See this thread. http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2034
for details, that small 10mm head bolt above the cam chain tensioner is a common leak spot. Don't over torque it though! Since that thread was posted I have stopped several other head gasket leaks cold and the procedure is now part of my barn find get r running routine, done even before I try and start the engine.
http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2034

I am attaching a pic of the oil stained area. the oil had formed a little puddle at the bottom rear point of the cylinder fins where top end meets the lower. the puddle is not in this pic. I will go and clean the top end at the car wash with a power washer and watch where the oil comes from to start

Attachments

• CARBS 009.jpg
    CARBS 009.jpg
    227.7 KB · Views: 380
It's your bike but I'd torque the head bolts, run it a bit, then wash it. For cleaning up oil I like to use paint thinner (mineral spirits).

Another leak-prone area is the acorn cover nut on your cam chain adjuster. It seals with an o-ring which seems to wear out quickly. It will run down onto the block just like that.

Another leak-prone area is the acorn cover nut on your cam chain adjuster. It seals with an o-ring which seems to wear out quickly. It will run down onto the block just like that.

True this. Check the cap, and also be sure that the gasket behind the 6- (or 4 on some bikes?) M6 bolt adjuster cover case is not weeping. If it is, oil can collect atop the case and mimic other leaks. I am hoping to have fixed a "head gasket leak" by replacing the adjuster cover case gasket.

TC

I have the o-ring info you sent me in another thread. I will get that one and replace it. that would be a sweet fix if that is it.

I don't know how I did anything on my bikes before the internet. You had to find a mentor that was close enough to get to and hope he didn't get tired of you hanging around. This forum thing is a great resource. Hope you guys don't get tired of my questions! I am sure there will be many more.

Back