Re-Wiring and Non Charging Situation

Popping the tank off is simple.
Undo the 10mm bolt at the back & lift the rear of the tank slightly. Leave the fuel tap in the 'On' position & take off the 2 rubber hoses, then simply lift at the back & wiggle-slide the whole thing backwards off the front rubbers.

As far as re-laying a harness, unfortunately that's beyond my pay grade!

Popping the tank off is simple.
Undo the 10mm bolt at the back & lift the rear of the tank slightly. Leave the fuel tap in the 'On' position & take off the 2 rubber hoses, then simply lift at the back & wiggle-slide the whole thing backwards off the front rubbers.
Should you not be emptying the tank at some point ?. I have very minimal fuel , its in reserve RN
As far as re-laying a harness, unfortunately that's beyond my pay grade!
I did'nt know pays came with their own grading system but maybe another thread on this another time ;)

No, any fuel that's in the tank can stay there, assuming your petcock is in good order. It needs a vacuum drawing on it for gas to get out.

No, any fuel that's in the tank can stay there, assuming your petcock is in good order. It needs a vacuum drawing on it for gas to get out.
The petcock was replaced twice so I believe it is and also no problems starting the bike. starts in a single kick. Okay, I'll do this and keep you all posted.

I've got a couple questions to get ya started:

The begining of the signal circuit is the flasher; it should have a 3-wire connector (under the tank) that contains a brown/white wire, a green/yellow wire and a solid brown wire. The solid brown wire should lead right back to the fusebox brown (what's actually there and where does it go?) we can test electrically if not visually.

The regulator/rectifier connector has seven wires 3 white, red, black, brown & green. Multimeter on DC volts; there should be power on brown wire (probe across brown and black wire from harness side of connector) with key on. If you pull only the brown wire fuse, does that brown wire still have power?

A little off subject, but I'm curious as to your age and experience? Forgive me if you've previously said, 'cause I missed it.

Knowing those will help (me at least) as far as how to explain stuff.

Well as JP already said, pull the headlight bulb and have a good look in there. On the XS, all roads lead to the headlight bucket. And since it seems to be turn signal related, I'm guessing you'll find a mess in there.

You said the petcock has been replaced twice. There's a good chance you no longer have the original vacuum type petcock and instead just have a simple On-Off-Reserve type. If that's the case then you'll need to put it in the "Off" position. Guess you'll know when you pull the fuel line. No more than a few drops initially should come out, then nothing.

I hate to say it but with your (low) level of experience, you may be on your way to making things worse, lol.

Not to be a negative Nancy, although I do love spending other people's money.....
It may be a lot simpler in the long run to replace the entire harness. I believe Mike's have them for an '81 for about $70
At least that way, you'll know the core of it is good.
No telling what else might have been butchered over the past 42 years.

Not to be a negative Nancy, although I do love spending other people's money.....
It may be a lot simpler in the long run to replace the entire harness. I believe Mike's have them for an '81 for about $70
That'sa thought - depending on what's found - however, the Mike's harnesses come with issues of their own to work through (mismatched colors, etc)

I do love the idea. But lets unearth and wade thru the spaghetti. The bike tho 12K miles on it is fairly in good condition. No rust anywhere even the stator/rotors were clean. We'll find out.

You said the petcock has been replaced twice. There's a good chance you no longer have the original vacuum type petcock and instead just have a simple On-Off-Reserve type. If that's the case then you'll need to put it in the "Off" position. Guess you'll know when you pull the fuel line. No more than a few drops initially should come out, then nothing.
Its vaccum type petcock. It was replaced with original style. I don't ever have to turn it on/off since it works on the vaccum.
I hate to say it but with your (low) level of experience, you may be on your way to making things worse, lol.
yes that might be the case. But so far I've only made it better and I am not experience at fixing bikes, but I've good experience in taking directions , apply some CS and resolving ambiguity. I've a lot of faith in this bunch here. ;)

Don't be skeered when you dive into the headlight bucket, no two multiconnectors are the same.
Black wires are grounds, Dark brown and Dark green turn signal wires can appear black- special observance needed.
Blues are instrument lighting.
Medium browns are power.
Reds are power.
Refer to the color schematic for your year on all to be doubly safe.
Caution ahead when disconnecting plugs in that bucket. Some can be a bugger to get apart and the sharp sides of the bucket itself are unforgiving. You may bleed.

Don't be skeered when you dive into the headlight bucket, no two multiconnectors are the same.
Black wires are grounds, Dark brown and Dark green turn signal wires can appear black- special observance needed.
Blues are instrument lighting.
Medium browns are power.
Reds are power.
Refer to the color schematic for your year on all to be doubly safe.
Caution ahead when disconnecting plugs in that bucket. Some can be a bugger to get apart and the sharp sides of the bucket itself are unforgiving. You may bleed.
Thanks. Bleed ?. Hell I am ready to die with the bike exploding by me making a wrong connection. Lets go. Aint a mechanic out there who deserves my hard earned money. They've only added to the trauma. I think it'll only get better.

Thanks. Bleed ?. Hell I am ready to die with the bike exploding by me making a wrong connection. Lets go. Aint a mechanic out there who deserves my hard earned money. They've only added to the trauma. I think it'll only get better.
I don't know much about a lot of bikes but I know plenty enough now about these 650's to keep them running and out of the hands of a mechanic. I started in 2007, you've started in 23. Enjoy your apprenticeship...... you've got some great teachers here.

Back