Read My Plugs

Q Tip

mad bomber
Reaction score
Ok these were brand new BP7ES NGK's that I have put 126 miles on since getting my '79 back on the road. The bike had set up unridden the better part of 2 years prior.

This is not a plug chop per se but I did chop the plugs twice in high gear at about 50mph and they looked the same as far as I could tell.

The lefthand plug in the pics is the left cylinder.

Whatcha think?

Attachments

• IMG_0709.JPG
    IMG_0709.JPG
    100.6 KB · Views: 99
  • IMG_0710.JPG
    IMG_0710.JPG
    103.4 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_0711.JPG
    IMG_0711.JPG
    93.8 KB · Views: 85
The right looks pretty darn good. Left maybe a little rich. But I would be happy with them if it was me.

Yes, the left one is rather rich. The smoke ring is too high up on the porcelain and the color is a bit dark.

left goes rich just off idle, right goes lean. both look a little dark at high load.
Check timing, balance carbs, re-shoot with new plugs :-D

I chopped the plugs at freeway speed and they had a light dry coating of black soot on the curved metal strap part. I set the air/fuel mixture with the dead cylinder method again, and if anything the left side looked a tad richer even.

I feel like I need to iron out a few details like getting an exhaust vs. my open pipes, repairing a leaky vacuum petcock, and checking the carb synch out with a manometer before I mess with the plugs much more.

Overtime at work is WAY down which is really crimping my style with this build. Just trying to save what i can at the moment.

Back