Reading speed, not speed reading

freelancethink

XS650 Member
Reaction score
I purchased the '83 yamaha xs400rk seca from a friend in Portland, Oregon. I gutted the seats of a 12-passenger van and drove to Los Angeles, CA. The bike had 4.4k miles on the odometer and was in a fair but dilapidated state of tune. The bike was made roadworthy then I discovered California requires used, out of state motorcycles have 7000+ miles or else they are subjected to a new vehicle tax.

I began trying to speed up the odometer, first using a drill then trying to manually advance the mileage to >7000. The problem is that I could never get the 1/10th gear to advance; hence the odometer In the end I worked on turning the 10,000, considering that I would only have to turn 1 number 1 turn to satisfy the legal requirement(the mechanical odometer now reading 14,400 miles.) I got the 0 to turn into a 1 but now the speedometer doesn't register anything at all.

I was forceful but didn't feel anything snap. Regardless, I would like to have a function speedometer again. Ideally I would like to repair my current speedometer. If this is not possible then I would like to insert a speedometer into my stock gauge cluster.

Any suggestions on how I can repair or replace the speedometer so it will register speed and distance?

You can list an add in the want to buy section on our sister site XS400.com Or shop ebay to find a god replacement.
Personally I would have gotten a different speedo with over the 7000 mile mark to get it through the registration process then put the original back on.
Leo

yes leo, changing the speedo initially would have been the better move on the board to make. The problem is that i'll need to change out the odometer as well. since these are mechanically driven im thinking there wont be any circuit boards or wires to swap, just one unit for the other.

as anyone done this procedure before? are there any special tools or concerns i'll need to be on the lookout for while doing this?

thanks in advance.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1982-Yamaha...Parts_Accessories&hash=item43b943732d&vxp=mtr

Not sure if the maxim and seca are interchangeable and it looks like this is a complete unit?
The xs650 gauges can be swapped out all day long with a pair of pliers for the speedo drive connection, JIS screwdriver for the headlight screws ( to be able to access the wiring connections) and a wrench to release the gauge from the bucket.

On the 650 Seca dash I have the speedo and odometer are one unit. Tach another. A seperate center unit holds the warning lights and boost gauge. It looks like you can disassemble the dash and change out just the speedo/odometer as a unit.
Leo

Back