Real Estate Update

[QUOTE="RustiePyles, post: 698082, member: 31596"
- - - And before anyone asks what the difference between a boat and a ship is. The short answer is: When a boat goes hard to Port/Starboard it leans into the turn, When a ship goes hard Port/Starboard it leans out of the turn... So, tonnage/length/beam/freeboard etc. What the Navy considers a "Boat" would most likely be several tons larger than what most people would think of.

Hi Rustie,
A ship is a 3-masted sailing vessel that's square rigged on all masts. And a Hermaphrodite Brig ain't what you might think, neither.[/QUOTE]

Only one three masted square rigger left in the USN.

hotshop21.jpg

Got some inexpensive linkable LED shop lights from Amazon. 4 pack for around $40. Like the light, remains to be seen how long they last. Running on an extension cord at the moment. Going to run a couple down the other side of the shop, need to set an outlet for the first one in each row.

These look great DE!

I got several cheap LED 4-footers at Horrible Fright a couple of years ago and I noticed the other day that a short segment of one fixture had gone out (about 6" out of the 4 feet), but the others are working fine.

One other cool thing: at Home Despot I got a 4-foot LED hanging fixture that has a built-in Bluetooth speaker in it - very cool, great sound and it saves bench space in the DCW.

Pete

@gggGary - Interesting. I'll have to try that. Easy enough to change.

Indeed - and the sound is good enough that I can hear my music or podcast all over the shop without blasting the sound level and annoying the neighbours.

P

I had big plans to insulate my 3 car garage and get one of those mini split units. I insulated the walls and got sheetrock up. Ceiling is next whenever I get other things done. Then I have to figure out the garage doors. Probably go with the foam insulation boards. Hopefully it wont take 3 more years to get the dang thing heated/cooled.

@X77S - That's a big reason I decided to retrofit the tool shed instead of heating the garage. Couldn't figure out how to seal the overhead doors without it being a big, expensive pain in the ass.

#1 reason was lack of room, #2 was that it would've taken a month just to GET to the walls, much less insulate them...

View attachment 193522 View attachment 193523 I found these lights and what a difference they make
It looks like they put out a lot of glare but not really, they’re just bright!
I've got those in the Garage. They really help brighten things up. The sheetrock helped a ton too. I still need to tape and mud it all, but that can wait til October or so.

I dont have room for a shop at my place, at least not without taking up half the back yard.

I think I may have kicked over a hornet's nest...

I've been trying for over a month to get the electric utility to acknowledge my request for new service. Going through the Customer Service Rep, she kept saying she'd kicked it upstairs to the Scheduler, but they never even acknowledged my email, much less lied to me about when they'd show up.

Being the Soul of Patience that I am, I finally got annoyed enough to dispatch a little missive to the Maine Public Utilities Commission inquiring if this lack of response was something they might be interested in.

Less than 20 minutes later I got not one, but TWO phone calls from the utility. The first one saying the Scheduler would be down this afternoon to get the details and write up the order and the second one from the outgoing Scheduler apologizing for things falling through the cracks.

Strictly a coincidence, I'm sure...

I think I may have kicked over a hornet's nest...

I've been trying for over a month to get the electric utility to acknowledge my request for new service. Going through the Customer Service Rep, she kept saying she'd kicked it upstairs to the Scheduler, but they never even acknowledged my email, much less lied to me about when they'd show up.

Being the Soul of Patience that I am, I finally got annoyed enough to dispatch a little missive to the Maine Public Utilities Commission inquiring if this lack of response was something they might be interested in.

Less than 20 minutes later I got not one, but TWO phone calls from the utility. The first one saying the Scheduler would be down this afternoon to get the details and write up the order and the second one from the outgoing Scheduler apologizing for things falling through the cracks.

Strictly a coincidence, I'm sure...
sometimes you gotta climb a little higher up the food chain to get results

Well, Scheduler didn't make it, but at least he called and said I was first on the list for tomorrow morning.
You now officially have there attention
I once had a city building inspector tell he would issue me a building permit when he got around to it
Being a city employee at the time I just went to the city admin. and told her you hired him and you CAN fire him
That same day I had the permit in hand
He was such a dick
He was eventually walked out the door many months later by the chief of police fired and gone
Happy retirement Bill Barber :laughing:

Back