Rear axle order...(spacers)

Milk_Jesus

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Let me know if my order is correct so far.

From left to right: chain adjuster, big spacer, bearing/tophat spacer, internal bearing spacer (the ring that centers it is in the mail), other bearing, drum brake, spool spacer (in the mail), chain adjuster. I'll also be adding some washers if there's any leftover room, but that's it right?

99-92F979E95C46-10576-000002E4561C35A7_zps649fa82c.jpg

You already have #22, I see it in your pic. #23 is not a spacer, it's a dust cover and it's on your part #22 in your pic. The bearing bore has a lip at the bottom. Drive the bearing in until it reaches that and stops. You'll notice the sounds of the hammer blows change slightly when the bearing hits bottom. Yes, it will be inset into the hub and the dust shield (#23) will sit flush with the hub. A grease seal (#21) goes over the bearing and the #22/23 combo fits into the seal, against the bearing.

SpacerLeftRear.jpg

You already have #22, I see it in your pic. #23 is not a spacer, it's a dust cover and it's on your part #22 in your pic. The bearing bore has a lip at the bottom. Drive the bearing in until it reaches that and stops. You'll notice the sounds of the hammer blows change slightly when the bearing hits bottom. Yes, it will be inset into the hub and the dust shield (#23) will sit flush with the hub. A grease seal (#21) goes over it and the #22/23 combo fits into the seal, against the bearing.

SpacerLeftRear.jpg

ooooh, so my #22 and #23 are connected to each other right now?

Yes, they are shown as separate parts on the diagram but are a press fit together so you usually never run across them as two parts. They're assembled at the factory (pressed together) and generally stay that way.

Yes, they are shown as separate parts on the diagram but are a press fit together so you usually never run across them as two parts. They're assembled at the factory (pressed together) and generally stay that way.

right on, thanks a lot!

also, is #21 the oil seal a MUST HAVE?

I guess it's not a "must have", but I would install it. MikesXS sells them and they don't cost that much. If you're using 2RS sealed bearings then the grease seal isn't needed as much. If you're using open bearings (although I don't know why anyone would), then you really need the grease seal.

Back