Rear axle spacers

daroberts3

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Where can I buy rear axle spacer tubing in lengths ? I am fitting stock '83 spoke wheels to my Voodoo Vintage frame and need to make new axle spacers. Can't seem to find any tubing in 20mm I.D.. Not even gonna think of stacking up a bunch of washers on this baby. Open to suggestions

I do not have the tools to bore round stock, but I did find some possibilities under the steel tubing section. Anyone know where to find metric sized tubing or pipe ?

I do not have the tools to bore round stock, but I did find some possibilities under the steel tubing section. Anyone know where to find metric sized tubing or pipe ?

Neither do I, take it to a machine shop. Tell them what it is for, and they will make sure it fits the axle without being too tight. got mine done for about $20.

Try 3/4" black pipe fittings. Cut the fittings to size with a chop saw so the cut is 90° and make up a hone with a split rod, a 3/8" or 1/2" bolt with the head cut off. Use a hack saw to cut the split down the rod. Rip a strip of coarse emery cloth and wind in the split. Chuck the split rod in a drill and hone the 3/4" pipe (is 19mm) to a perfect 20mm fit on the axel. Shadetree, I know, but how else are we going to do little jobs like this?

Tom Graham

Wow that is total back barn job - love it. Might have to try that. I also just found a scrap piece of H-D 1" OD handle bars and it fits very nicely, but it is thin .010". Might use it for mock up purposes.

If you just need a bit of spacer try 3/4 washers. Buy a handful. Add one to each side, does it fit? Add another to each side, repeat as needed to fit your wheel to your frame.
Leo

I'm having the same problem with my spoke rear wheel on my voodoo hardtail. Are we missing pieces or are they all like that? Reading this thread I know how to fix it but I'm just wondering why it's like that.

Back