Rear brake as a hand control

xtremeridah

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hey ladies/ gents- I want to relocate the rear brake control to the old front brake lever. Can I eliminate the stock master cylinder for the rear brake and just use the one for the front brake?? If so do they make a long brakeline to make it from the handle bar lever to the rear brake caliper?

goddamnit guys. if he doesnt want a front brake let it be. guys have been running no front brakes forever. give it a rest and let the chopper guys chop.

now to the OP. not having a front brake cleans up your handle bars, why would you risk not running front brake only to still have the lever on your bars, and an empty foot?

After badly breaking his right leg/ankle, the great man Micheal Doohan operated his rear brake via a jet ski throttle under his left bar. He was so efective with it, others tried it, only Mick mastered it. Food for thought for the cutting crew. cheers

Posted via Mobile

I did a rear disc brake only bike that was hand operated. I used the factory MC and caliper with a Russell universal line (66" if I recall correctly) and universal AN3 fittings. I believe one was a 35 degree and one was a 90 degree. Worked great. Just keep in mind most of your stopping power is in your front brake. But ride what you want. One of my personal scoots is a rear drum brake hand operated only. Put 4k miles on it this year with no issues. Be safe!

^ I don't know. I thought it turned out ok. I'm not quite sure what you are getting at exactly.... But I'm sure it's nothing like good ol "badassjamie" could build, you big badass stud muffin.... :laugh:
I'm debating changing my name to badasspatches to increase by badassery as well. I like your style....
There are many bikes out there without front brakes. Is it the safest thing in the world? No. But I'm not really sure how much it increases your chance of being in an accident. I see a lot of bike wrecks and I'm betting almost all of them have front brakes.....

398933492.jpg

398933485.jpg

I am not running a front brake!! Have talked to a few guys that said they have had no issues with not having one. Thanks for the concerns, greatly appreciated. While looking for low profile mastercylinder brakes I noticed alot of different bore sizes. Anyone know what size is standard and if I need ot change it??

goddamnit guys. if he doesnt want a front brake let it be. guys have been running no front brakes forever. give it a rest and let the chopper guys chop.

now to the OP. not having a front brake cleans up your handle bars, why would you risk not running front brake only to still have the lever on your bars, and an empty foot?

I like the look of a clean front wheel. I want to bring the foot control up for stopping on hills and so I can plant both feet, you know what I mean. Thanks for the defense, its probably not a good idea to eliminate the front but, I like to live a little dangerous haha

i hope you dont get a itchy nose while your at those lights on the hill with the clutch in and you cant find neutral. LOL

Posted via Mobile

Many people go "frontless" no big deal but for the sake of the thread tittle I know a few guys who went with "thumb brakes" but mostly on sport bikes so they can ride like idiots.

Bike looks real clean there man. Good job.

Just to keep this going, I know that by riding a motorcycle you already assume a certain amount of danger but why increase your risk by not running a front break?

Sure its a clean look there Jesse James, but really, it's a 35 yr old Yamaha. Your building this bike to fucking ride it right?
These are not one off, ultra expensive, custom trailer queen V twins here, these are old bikes you intend to ride right? Do you not want to stop as best you can? Or do you think that you'll be just fine cuz it's only a "bar hopper" and you only want to go to the bar to show off your clean front end?

You want to go with no front brake, sure, go right ahead, there are hipsters and then there are those that know motorcycles.

Look, my bobber would look great without a front disk and brake but I want to actually ride the snot out of it and stop when I need to, not worrying if this ride will be my last by my own negligence.
Am I going to put all my faith in that rear drum I cobbled together even tho I completely rebuilt it? Hells no. But be my guest.

Just my 2 cents!! Hate me if ya want!

i feel in the end it's up to the owner of the bike front brake, no front brake, no body's business cause it aint yours. do what you want you'll either like the decision or change it

I see where wrecks happen all the time with guys riding the latest crotch rockets with some of the best front braking systems to date. I think their great breaking systems instill to much confidence as I watch them in traffic at 75 mph barely inches off the rear bumper of autos. I think what fails them is common sense and reaction time. I run a front brake. Makes a lot of difference where you live too. I used to live in rual Okla. I wouldn't consider riding without a front brake here in Phoenix.
Jefft

Not to hijack, but does anyone know of a braking system that combines both the front a and rear brake in one, like on a goldwing?

Many new bikes, You could run both disks off of one master cylinder but you will need some sort of proportioning valve or the rear is going to be skidding long before you get full effectiveness out of the front. You get about 75% of your braking from the front during a hard stop. On high, forward CG sport bikes that easily goes to 100%. A smaller rear rotor/caliper would "proportion" also. You're the "test dummy" though.

Back