Rear brake light problem on my 1982 S model

DavidL

XS650 Member
Reaction score
I finally found some time to put the new parts on it and started it today. It sounds nice. All the electrics work ok appart from the rear brake light. I have looked high and low for a rear brake light switch and cannot for the life of me find one. I also found these two wires (in the same area behind the right side panel but unconnected) but I don;t think they are related to the rear brake light switch. Any pointers would be appreciated. Thanks, David

Attachments

• IMG_0703.JPG
    IMG_0703.JPG
    64.3 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_0705.JPG
    IMG_0705.JPG
    127.2 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_0706.JPG
    IMG_0706.JPG
    20 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_0712.JPG
    IMG_0712.JPG
    48.5 KB · Views: 78
If those are the rear brake light wires, and I believe they are, then a continuity test will show that one of these wires runs to the brake tail light and also back to the front brake switch. If you wipe the wires clean with white spirits you should see their colours and be able to match them to your wiring diagram.

If your bike has a battery fitted then shorting both wires with a 12V bulb will give a dim glow because it will be in series with the tail light, or place the voltmeter black probe on the chassis and touching each wire one at a time with red will show 12 - 13V when you find the power wire to the switch - it should be the female bullet connector.

Back