Rear brake using a cable instead of a rod?

NoValidTitle

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
So I'm going to put mids on my bike and I'm trying to come up with something, while stumbling around the net I came across this site that has an XS that has a cable instead of a linkage rod.

http://pangeaspeed.com/gallery.html

The top bike in the gallery, the bottom left picture is the best view.

Anyone done this before? See any downfalls? Seems like it would be easier and has the potential to be a cleaner install.

I have the splined lever that attaches to the brake pivot if you need it. Bought and as you know switched to rear disc.

I did this on my very first bike.... I didnt like it at all. The cable stretches way too much for my taste and, to me anyway, became a real dangerious safty hazzard. A few times when i really need it I would push the pedal almost to the damn road to get her to stop... LOL it sounds "GAY" but Im a rod guy forever LOL

Old iron head sportsters did it, and the brake never felt soft. That cable was huge.

And that mey be where I went wrong... I ues Bicycle cable and it just sucked. On the next bike I went to rod and just never looked back. To each their own i guess

My Norton 850 rear wheel had cable to it's brake. I'm just sayin'...

I put forwards on my VS700 and it came with a cable and it was WAY easier and WAY cleaner. I love it. The only drawback i can forsee is that I may have to replace cables sometime in the future, where a rod is pretty much maintenance free.

I've been thinking about doing the same thing with the XS and I just may.

I've heard of people using car emergency brake cables from the junkyard to activate the rear brake. I would imagine that they would be up to the task.

Back