XS650 Special rear brake hub

Fawksey

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi, I’ve just acquired a 1981 XS650 Special first registered in the US. It has a single front disc and a rear brake hub. I keep reading that the bike came with a rear disc. Any info would be welcome. There’s a pic of the bike in the gallery. I’m trying to fathom how much of the bike is original. Thanks

Fawksey

Mag wheel specials, came with disk rear brakes 78-80, Yamaha then switched to a drum mag rear for the 81. Canadian 82-84 Heritage specials also used drum mag rear wheels.

full

Good looking bike! It looks mostly original, paint, seat cover, handlebar, front brake line, mirrors maybe.

Last edited:
Thanks Gary, yes I wondered if the handlebars weren’t original. I’ve only been out on her once ( I had a Triumph Street triple previous) and I found the brakes or lack of them shocking. Can’t remember if that’s how they were or if they need some attention!
F.

Last edited:
Hi, I’ve just acquired a 1981 XS650 Special first registered in the US. It has a single front disc and a rear brake hub. I keep reading that the bike came with a rear disc. Any info would be welcome. There’s a pic of the bike in the gallery. I’m trying to fathom how much of the bike is original. Thanks
Fawksey

Hi Fawksey and welcome,
like Gary sez, those ain't the stock buckhorn bars. IMHO that's a definite upgrade but there's those who love 'em.
Single disk front & drum rear is stock for '81. The photo tells me that apart from the bars your bike is mostly original.
Check the brake lever piston diameter. The stock lever is sized to work the TWO calipers the rest of the world's
XS650s got which means it feels like wood when operating just one. Use the search and tech buttons for details.
And the XS650 is also a paint shaker, rubber-mount the number plate so it don't fatigue itself off.

Last edited:
Cheers for the info Fred, it’s stopped raining so I’ll get her out today and have a good look round and take her for a run
F.

Hi Fawksey,
but the roads are still wet, eh? (Before I was Fred from Saskatoon I was Fred from Bristol and I remember the after-rain road slickness of British roads)
Check the age-stamp on those new-looking tyres before you go. Old tyres get hard and loose their grip.

2212222D-7859-445F-A03D-266A0B9B8B2E.jpeg
For a little while I lived in Yate just north of Bristol 30 years ago. I haven’t checked properly but the rear has a little new adhesive showing as if it’s recently been put on and it’s an Avon Roadrider. The fronts a Metzler. I’ve just been out to put the cover on and she was nearly over on the side stand! I don’t trust it. The tree is the only thing I’ve got to chain her too!

Back