Rear brakes

Doug79

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
OK I am ready to re-do the rear disc brake on my 79 Special. Mikes offers a complete new master cylinder and a complete overhaul kit for the caliper. I have become a little paranoid about parts ordering. anyone with experience with these types of parts from them. If I am looking in the wrong place, Where should I be going for good quality brake parts, as both ends will have to be re-done.

I used Mikes rebuild kit and new piston on the rear caliper, no problem. I also used his rebuild kit for the stock rear master again no issues!
Rick

I bought a front master cylinder and caliper from Mikes - no problems except that the mirror mounting hole on the master was tapped for a RH (ie normal) thread rather than a left hand thread as is customary on Yamahas.

That meant that the mirror they sold me wouldn't fit onto the mirror mount they sold me - which, I have come to learn, is the sort of thing they do at Mikes.

If you have no leaks, you shouldn't need a rebuild kit. Just disassemble and thoroughly clean the MC and caliper. I've done this to quite a few of these. The last time I did need a rebuild kit was over 20 years ago but yes, it was for a rear MC. Out of all the hydraulic brake components on these, they seem to be the most leak-prone. It may be because of their vertical mounting.

Back