rear disc brake setup

b1broc

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Could you guys please show a good picture of a hardtail running disc brakes on the rear im lost on what im going to do and since this is a build i dont have a stock setup to look at im pretty sure i have all the componets

What part are you having a hard time understanding? I have a completely new frame, not a weld on hardtail, but here are a few pics I have.

P1010414.jpg

I had to have spacers made up for my frame, but 3/4" washers will work for spacers in a pinch. Some guys use the stock axle adjusters, which add spacing as well.

SDC12110.jpg

If you tell me what you're hung up on, I can try to get some better detail pics for you this evening.

I actually grew up not all that far North of you in Fulton, IL.

Kent

wow! what an awsome build man i love it! the proplem im having is i picked up a rear brake assembly and this sounds funny but theres a rubber boot and thats it is there sopposed to be a rod coming out of this or what man??? the caliper and everything i can figure out but i dont know where to modify if needed the pedal and what linkage i need to fab up im a machinest so anythings possible

OK, I got ya. My frame came with a brake pivot welded on, but Hugh has a good option for that (or you might be able to machine something yourself). I punted the stock master cylinder as it was a little too bulky for me. On the stock one, there is a rod that comes out of it, but I bent the end of the rod and used that to drive the new master cylinder. Hope this pic helps.

SDC12979.jpg

Also, Hugh is a stand up guy on this site and makes a brake pivot kit. Check out his site here:

http://hughshandbuilt.blogspot.com/2011/02/xs650-rear-brake-made-easy-diy.html

Thanks for the compliments, and let me know if you need any clarification.

Kent

Back