Rear Ended on the XS

79XStLouis

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Was waiting at a traffic light to turn left, then boom, hit from behind. Luckily I stayed on the bike and held on. Turned around to see an Asian lady staring at me. Her bumper was right up to the tail light. You get one guess what she was doing instead of driving... yep, screwing with her her cell phone. I crossed the intersection waving her across, and she thought about running and making the left, but I stopped and pointed at her to follow me over. Got off the bike and could find no damage, so the bulk of the force probably went into the tire, although the fender and taillight were touching her bumper. I told her to get her head out of her phone and pay attention, and motored on. I always try to think for other people while riding, but when you get it from behind...

hopefully it hasn't effected the frame if you had your brakes off. You were very lucky ...someone is watching over you .:)

I had the same thing happen to me a few years ago in my car.
Waiting to turn right across the traffic into a garage and casually looked into my rear view mirror to see if I was causing a tail back....to see a huge 4x4 Range Rover about 30 feet behind me accelerating towards me . I saw immediately that the driver was looking down into her lap and hadn't spotted me .

As luck would have it I had my car in first gear with my foot on the clutch so I quickly revved the engine and dumped the clutch and screamed off up the road with the 4x4 about 5 feet behind me until I hit 40mph and she looked up and braked .

I'm afraid I wasn't as polite as you and there was a good deal of Tourettes :D

It isn't just St. Louis. I'm rural and still get nervous when I see car/truck in the mirror.
In the past year the lil' bride has been hit twice and the son once because of phones. Luckily none more than bumps. The last bump $2100. Screw passing a law, the insurance companies should step up and void insurance if a phone is involved. Folks should have to pay from their own pockets instead of the risk pool getting dinged.

I got hit by an Asian lady a few years back. Maybe the same one??? I bet our descriptions will match! Glad you are not hurt though. Make sure your tire did not get distorted - check it carefully and make sure the wheel is still in alignment.

I was once rear ended by a car sliding in the rain while I was stopped. I had a car in front of me spinning the wheels to get moving uphill... After all that racket he just barely hit me with the softest possible touch, like a cartoon. Now when I'm stopped I keep a wide berth in front of me, plan an escape route, and keep a sharp eye in the rear view mirrors for a driver texting or passed out :D Actually when there's a car stopped behind me I keep an eye out for cars behind him that could slam him into me.

Lucky indeed, 'Louis! One of my best friends was rear-ended by an older lady (HA! older than US!) on the HIGHWAY going 65mph. She "didn't see him" riding a ZX1400, minding his own business, and WHAM! he's on the ground. Messed up his knee (we have the same knee surgeon!), the bike was totaled (he bought it from the insurance company as salvage, repaired it, rode it 3 or 4 more years...), but the moral of the story is: people out there drive with their heads up their asses. Everywhere, every day, and you have to be The Amazing Kreskin to avoid them. Thank God both you AND the bike were only shaken, not stirred. You don't know where or when, so in the meantime, ride fast, and stay ahead of 'em!

I was surprised how much less traffic there was out the prairie. Made it a lot more enjoyable. I try to avoid most interstates because they're wild, but out there no problem.

Glad to hear your okay! As a Trooper, I see this way too often. People now days (mainly the younger generation) are so tied up in their phones and social media that they can’t sit it down for 10 minutes while they drive down the street. It amazes me at the number of deaths we have every year over something so stupid.

One time in my early 20s I was in a greasy spoon and I saw a guy in the parking lot who could barely walk get on a motorcycle with kid on the back. There was a table of firemen and I went over and pointed it out to them and one of them said "sometimes I wish I was a policeman", and none of them did anything, These days I think he would have been fired about five different ways for that. Certainly an anti-hero. I bet he still thinks about that. Kind of the same for the metro employee who just tries to reason with the driver. I was young and didn't have my adult sensibilities at that point so didn't do anything myself. Was a very late bloomer. I would drag the guy out of the car now, and we'd be whipping each other until the cops showed up :D

Back