Rear fender differences/fitment between early and late model bikes

The Standard

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Can someone shed some light on differences in the ‘69-‘73 rear fenders compared to the later year bikes?

Do ‘74 and later bolt to an early bike frame without heavy modification?

Question specific to Standard frame unless the Specials bolt up and have some unique look when put on a Standard frame.

Specific bike is a ‘72

With a little work, a 74 and later fender can be made to fit a 1972 frame. The fender will have a very bobbed (shortened) look compared to a stock 72 fender, consistent with how 74 and later fenders are shorter than the early vendors. The two large mounting eyes on a 74 and later fender will match up well with the two weld nuts on the 72 rear seat Loop. You will have to fabricate some type of mount or bracket for the front of the fender.
If you want to experiment, I'll send you a rough 74 and later fender for the cost of shipping. Or, I can send you a nice fender if you want to pay more.

With a little work, a 74 and later fender can be made to fit a 1972 frame. The fender will have a very bobbed (shortened) look compared to a stock 72 fender, consistent with how 74 and later fenders are shorter than the early vendors. The two large mounting eyes on a 74 and later fender will match up well with the two weld nuts on the 72 rear seat Loop. You will have to fabricate some type of mount or bracket for the front of the fender.
If you want to experiment, I'll send you a rough 74 and later fender for the cost of shipping. Or, I can send you a nice fender if you want to pay more.
Thank you. Just the information I am seeking. I am going for bobbed look, different tail light setup so the later fender seems to be best choice.

I’ll ping you about the nicer one available. Do you know of any light weight aluminum ones out there that guys have made work with minimal effort/modification? Non-peaked style.

Back