rear sets kickstart

I bought one of the extended kick starters from Mikes. Depends on exactly where/how your pegs are mounted, but mine clears just fine by folding the right side peg up before kicking.

Dyyatt
My Kick start Lever catches with the toe piece on the rear set.

RD400FKickstartlever007.jpg
[/IMG]

RD400FKickstartlever010.jpg
[/IMG]

RD400FKickstartlever008.jpg
[/IMG]

RD400FKICKSTARTLEVER001-1.jpg
[/IMG]

This is a RD400E/F lever not the standard XS650G lever

Last edited:
There's a quick'n'dirty way to make these Tarozzi rearsets swing out of the way of the kickstarter. First, you need the folding peg (as in your pic). Set the angle of the brake lever, and carefully mark the holes you have pinned. Then file a slot in the ring between the marked hole and another hole at least two positions away. The effect is to have the brake lever still brake when you press down, but have the pin slide in the filed slot when you lift the lever up.

It's klunky, but it works.

Thanks for that Osteo,
Simple idea going to have a proper look at this option, I don't mind clunky as long as it works.

Have you done this to yours if so have you giot anymore pictures of the rearsets on the bike

Thanks Leslie

Last edited:
Here are some close ups. I see you have have the Fast From the Past brackets. I had to the same kit, but I had to move the rearsets back about a 1.5" to clear the kick lever, even with a modifed lever. So I used their bracket as a template and just moved it the rear and cut it out of 1/2" aluminum plate. Hope this helps.

DSCN1187.jpg

DSCN1195.jpg

kick1.jpg

kick3.jpg

kick4.jpg

The reasons I haven't bought anyones rearsets yet. Too much hassle. Problems with kickstart come with all the kits.
jefft

The reasons I haven't bought anyones rearsets yet. Too much hassle. Problems with kickstart come with all the kits.
jefft

Jefft,
This may be the solution that was posted earlier in this thread.

There's a quick'n'dirty way to make these Tarozzi rearsets swing out of the way of the kickstarter. First, you need the folding peg (as in your pic). Set the angle of the brake lever, and carefully mark the holes you have pinned. Then file a slot in the ring between the marked hole and another hole at least two positions away. The effect is to have the brake lever still brake when you press down, but have the pin slide in the filed slot when you lift the lever up.

modified.jpg
[/IMG]

It's klunky, but it works.
Attached Thumbnails

I grabbed a couple of pics of my modified Tarozzi rearsets:

2012-05-20_16-58-45_478.jpg

Normal riding position... Made my own mounts, lower than the Fast From The Past ones, that incorporate a master cylinder mount.

2012-05-20_16-58-54_942.jpg

Flipped-up position. There's just enough friction on the locating pin that the lever will stay there until you deliberately flip it down. As it is, the kickstart lever just misses the toe peg; I'm going to bend it out 1" or so for safety, but it should be a far less radical reshape than other options.

I grabbed a couple of pics of my modified Tarozzi rearsets:

2012-05-20_16-58-45_478.jpg

Normal riding position... Made my own mounts, lower than the Fast From The Past ones, that incorporate a master cylinder mount.

2012-05-20_16-58-54_942.jpg

Flipped-up position. There's just enough friction on the locating pin that the lever will stay there until you deliberately flip it down. As it is, the kickstart lever just misses the toe peg; I'm going to bend it out 1" or so for safety, but it should be a far less radical reshape than other options.

osteoderm,
I have copied your modification on the rear set.
MODIFIEDREARSET004.jpg
[/IMG]

It works great Thank you very much for the advise and tip.

MODIFIEDREARSET009.jpg
[/IMG]

I am going to fit a grub screw(5mm) to the back of the threaded rear plate part number 02-0022 to stop it working loose, i will post a picture when I have completed the modification,

MODIFIEDREARSET007.jpg

I have a suggestion for rear sets vendors. There are quite of few sources out there to choose from. Isn't it always that little extra something that makes one comprable item sell better than another. Why don't one of these vendors provide a prebent kicker that will make their kit a true bolt on kit? Mike's and other sources have kickers that could be bought, bent to fit, and included in the kit. Or, said vendor allows you to send in your kicker and bends it to fit. One person here said TC Bros bent his kicker but when I called and inquired they said they didn't do that.
jtcrrt

Posted via Mobile

Leslie, just wondering how the grub screw worked out. I have done this same modification and have noticed the loosening of the same part. What about some locktite? When I unpacked the Tarozzi's rearsets I had a time getting that same part (02-0022) unscrewed. Now I can't seem to keep it tight. Anyone else found a solution?
jefft

Back