Rear shock length...again - Special frame

haze33

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm looking for some advice for rear shock length. I know this has been discussed in great detail, but I couldn't find anything that was specifically directed at a heritage special frame (the shock mounts are 20mm lower, and further forward than the standard frame, which makes the rear lower). It seems that they shock length is the same for the standard & special, and the mounting points & rear tire size cause the geometry difference.

I'm looking for an agile street setup with the best handling possible. I'll be using 18" wheels front and rear for better turn in response.

It seems that most people recommend a 13"-13.5" shock on the standard frames to raise the rear a little. Should I try to find something closer to 14" for my heritage special frame? Or should I stick to the most commonly used lengths?

Thanks!

Call 650 direct. I spoke with them there, and they recommended something for my setup. If you go too tall, your chain will in effect act as a saw on your swingarm.

I have a heritage special, im lowered 2" up front, and he suggested 13.5"

Heres how she sits.

781691a0ab5f11e2962a22000a1f930e_7.jpg

If you have stock exhaust anything much over 13.5 will hit the exhaust with the lower bolt head. I had 13.5 and now have stock shocks and can't tell any difference. There might be some difference if you're a racer.

thanks guys.

Sounds like I'll just go with a 13.5" shock in the rear, and tune the front end height to get it feeling the way I want

Back