Rear Suspension Lateral Play

80xsrider

80XSRider
Reaction score
So, when the bike is on the center stand I can grab the rear wheel and move it side to side it moves about 1/8 of an inch. Does that mean I need to replace the bushings in the swing arm now?

- the play could be swingarm bushes, wheel bearings or both..try with the wheel out...although 1/8in is a lot, most likely to be swingarm, replace with bronze bushes or needle bearings

My 80 did that when I got it.......ended up being the nuts on the side of the swing arm needed tweaking...still have the plastic at 76K and they are tight.....grease often...............
some say you can bust them if you overtighten them and that wasn't the problem........xsjohn

proper torque on the pivot bolt is requried too, it would also be good to check the bolt itself, the stock bolt had a cut down threaded area (14MM) mikesXS sells a replacement swingarm bolt that is a full 16mm on the thread
side play is suppose to be 1mm (0.04") pivot nut torque 36-58 ft. lb.

I was thinking about going with the bronze bushing but decided to do a search before ordering. I had about 1/8 inch, if not a bit more on the side to side play of the swingarm. I put the torque wrench to the nut on the right side while looking for any movement on the left while torquing. 45 ft lbs later and 'surprise' .......no side to side play. Thanks.

Back