Rear Wheel Spacers

hardhat_harry

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi

Just bought an 1971 XS2 thats come from the states and now in the UK.

The bike is missing lots of stuff.

I'm swapping the swingarm from the later post 1977 XS650 but although I have the later chain guides I dont have any spacers (none on the earlier swingarm either)

Can someone give me some dimensions of the spacers so I can knock them up on the lathe?

If you got a rear wheel with and on the bike, then you probably already have the left (sprocket) side spacer. It was the same on all 650 rear wheels. It is actually a two part affair, with a tin dust cover pressed onto the spacer. The parts drawings list it as two separate parts but I've never seen it that way. They're stuck together good. They are shown as #23 and #24 below .....

RearWheelBearings.jpg

LeftSpacer.jpg

The spacer you will need is the one on the right (brake) side. It resembles a thread spool .....

AxleSpacers.jpg

RightSpacer.jpg

It is 25mm long with a 4mm flange on each end. The flanges are 35mm in diameter and the depressed center portion has a 27mm diameter. Of course, it has a 20mm hole through it to fit the axle. The "flats" on the flanges are about 2.5mm wide.

hardhat harry has pics posted in another thread about axle length. He hasn't got either spacer.
Hardhat, show your pics here.
Leo

As Leo mentioned in your other thread, it would probably be best to buy the combo left side spacer/dust shield. You could make the spacer but I doubt you could make the dust shield. On the other hand, the dust shield probably isn't 100% necessary. The spacer, as you can see in the above drawing, is stepped. The inner section has a 35mm diameter and is 16mm long. The outer section is smaller @ a 33mm diameter and 15mm long. Overall length is 31mm. The dust shield has about a 60.6mm O.D.

LeftSpacerRear.jpg

Back