Rear Wheel Stuck

heckienawjoe

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi all,

Well after riding my bike hard on the hwy for about 150 miles and not riding for about 4 days after I came into the garage to find that my rear wheel has locked up. I seriously cannot budge it. I don't know if it is a gear, chain, brake, or bearings issue or something else even. I'm really bummed.

The bike is an 81 Special with the mag wheels and drum brake on the rear. Just wondering if any of you have experienced this sort of stuck axle/wheel and how I can fix it. Please help!

Thank you all in advance!

I mean named all the suspects. Just go down the list of easiest to check to the more difficult and see if they are what is going on. And you're sure it's in neutral?

If it will not move at all even a little I would check the brakes. Try backing the adjustment off and tap the backing plate and see if it helps.

- as a teenager with no money, back in the days, i once adjusted my rear drum brake so the lever came forward of the perpendicular...result, rear lock up outside a catholic girls school-thinking quick i simply stayed down...was a good move:wink2::D

Sounds like the brakes. If it was the gears the wheel would move a little bit. If the chain is on the sprockets it isn't very likely to bind the wheel. Bearings usually make a lot noise when failing and give much more movement.

thanks everybody for your quick replies! I was more shocked than I needed to be and didn't really know where to start, so hearing your analyses were def helpful.

Turns out the rear brake lever was caught on itself somehow, so the brake was stuck on applied at full force even though the foot pedal moved up and down. Prob just gotta lube it up and do some adjustments. I was just worried it was something more serious and dreading a long repair project.

thanks again guys

You might want to pull your wheel and check your brake shoes.
If your brake shoes are worn enough the cam that actuates the brake shoes can turn far enough so the cam can go past the point were the pads will push the cam back. This locks your brake.

You might want to pull your wheel and check your brake shoes.
If your brake shoes are worn enough the cam that actuates the brake shoes can turn far enough so the cam can go past the point were the pads will push the cam back. This locks your brake.

fyi for future readers, i believe that this was the problem. i had the drum brake pads replaced and it stopped locking up.

Good idea while the wheel is off to clean and lube the shaft of the brake actuator where it goes through the hub and the cam where it contacts the brake shoes. ALSO, remove the brake pivot bracket where it fits throught the frame, clean the shaft and bore, and lube.

My brake shoe liners actually separated from the shoes on my Special 1981. Always take apart and inspect/clean and replace if the shoes come apart like mine did.

Pete that's kinda interesting to me. The only pad/shoe separation I have experienced was with the 81 drum mag. Maybe we are the only lonely ones but hearing of two from the same year makes me wonder now.

I've found that on quite a few old wheels I've pulled apart. I even found disc brake pads like that once on an RD350.

Yup pads falling off shoes is common on the XS, if the wheel ever had water get in it's likely even. Just removed a 71 front yesterday and the bottom pad was just laying in the drum.

Don't know the thread count but the diameter is 20mm. Yes, that's a rather odd size. I doubt you'll be buying a nut for it at the hardware store. I'm sure MikesXS sells them, or maybe scrounge a used one from another bike.

the threaded end of the 20mm axle is reduced. The nut won't be your typical hardware store item since it's a castle nut so you can use a cotter key to secure it to the axle.

Rear Wheel Axel Nut
Rear Wheel Axel Nut Photo Rear Wheel Axel Nut
Part #49-0719 $4.50 USD Ea.

I guess the mike's part is also used in figure skating.....

Went and measured it's

M18X1.5 , M18 , Metric Castle Nut

Fine Thread

27mm wrench size

Back