Rear wheel wiggles..thoughts pls...

Just fascinatng info 5T..Thanks...

Hi 'max,
first, the XS650 swingarm pivot is a BAD design. And unless you take expensive steps, you (like most of us) are stuck with it.
The design is SUPPOSED to pinch the swingarm pivot tube solidly into the frame.
What ACTUALLY happens is, the swingarm through bolt slacks off (or if it's the stock M14-ended one, the end breaks off)
and lets the pivot tube turn with the swingarm.
AND THEN
the ~0.002" fit between the pivot tube's polished outer surface and the swingarm's bronze bushings is replaced by the ~ 0.03"
steel on steel fit between the pivot tube's machined bore and the swingarm through bolt's outer surface.
Which lets your bike's swingarm flail about as you have described and effs up your bike's handling.
The fix is to fit a grease nipple into the underside of the swingarm's cross tube, make sure the swingarm pivot tube is wider
(0.003/0.013) than the swingarm washer stackup, and tighten the swingarm through bolt until your eyes bulge.

Surely I'd need a drill press to do that, along with some new drills. I left pictures of presses and lathes lying around the house at Xmas time. All I got was underwear and ties! Thanks Gary, I'll keep your advice as an escape plan if I can't solve this issue by throwing money at it.
Cheers

Surely I'd need a drill press to do that, along with some new drills. I left pictures of presses and lathes lying around the house at Xmas time. All I got was underwear and ties! Thanks Gary, I'll keep your advice as an escape plan if I can't solve this issue by throwing money at it.
Cheers
upload_2020-2-8_18-49-31.jpeg
I think you did well, David !! :) ;)

What type of things? I hate being naive!
Mild steel Jim! That hole must be nearly 40mm deep. That's about one and a half inches.Your hands might be that steady but mine suffer from decades of abuse. That's not self-abuse by the way GLJ! I suppose I could try it just to prove I'm right and Dude, I used to look like that in underwear but we wore platform shoes and flares back then. Now my underwear guards against incontinence.

Back