rearwheel dust cover

FLEA

XS650 Guru
Reaction score
does any one know how to remove the rear wheel dust cover, brake side on the drum brake models with out damaging it.and if i do damage it where i can buy another one thanks jeff

There's no dust cover on the brake side that I'm aware of. There is a grease seal over the bearing. Is that what you mean?

the bearing - seal sets are fairly inexpensive. The common wisdom says if you remove the bearings you throw them away. The removal process means you have to side load the balls in the races while driving them out likely deforming one or both.

all balls set ebay

From mikes XS
Rear Wheel Bearing Kit
Rear Wheel Bearing Kit Photo Rear Wheel Bearing Kit

Includes: (1)Rear Wheel Bearing - 6304 2RS Nachi ball bearing (with 2 synthetic shields), (1) Rear Wheel Bearing - 6305 2RS Nachi ball bearing (with 2 synthetic shields), (1) Rear wheel Oil Seal - (SO-27-52-5), (1) Rear wheel Oil Seal - (SD-35-62-9)

Made in Japan - Highest Quality - make sure any you are comparing are made in Japan and same quality

Fits: All 650's, XS1, XS2, XS650 75-83, TX650 74
Part #28-6307 $46.00 USD Kit

I would guess you can take the part numbers from mikes to your local bearing house and get a seal. Those look like the universal numbers to me.

When you remove the bearing, the seal will come out undamaged

all balls set ebay

I'm always afraid to use these cheap items, had some bad experience with them

If you're careful, you can get the grease seals out undamaged using the hooked end of a mini pry bar .....

MiniPryBar-1.jpg

Work your way around the seal prying and lifting it out a little at a time. I don't replace these unless they're visibly damaged. They're not a 100% seal like an oil seal. Actually, they are sort of a dust cover.

thanks,will give it a try.got a damaged back wheel with a good seal and a good back wheel with a damaged seal and generally 4/5 weeks shipping from mikes...not normally this cheap

Back