Rebel Shocks

lidirtrider

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
My friend and I have started work on his 75' bobber. The complete build thread is over on the 650 garage site, but I'll probably be moving it here soon, since this seems to be a more active, and respectful, board. Anyway. My question is, since we plan on using the rear shocks from a honda rebel, do the eyes on the rebel shocks have the same dimensions as the stock 650 shocks? What I mean is, will they basically just bolt right onto the 650's stock shock mounts using the stock 650 shock rubbers and bolts? or will we have to make some spacers/sleeves/bushings or something? I know this is a fairly common swap, but I don't think anyone has ever addressed this before. I just want to be prepared for when we get the shocks, and not have to scramble the day we go to install them.

OR, is there any other shock that someone could recommend that is about the same size as the rebel shocks, and about the same price?

We got the shocks, and aside from how we want to mount them, they can be just bolted right on to a stock 650. Well, a 1975 a least, but you would definitely have to chop some things off to prevent any dragging.

Does anyone know if these shock can disassembled?

How much did it drop the rear of your bike? im looking for an easy way to drop mine until I can rigid it.

Here's some 11"rs on an '83....compare to your bike. Rebels are a 1/2" shorter? These are from T.A.S. Motorsports out of In.
7475787983001.jpg

How much did it drop the rear of your bike? im looking for an easy way to drop mine until I can rigid it.

Since we dont actually have the bike together its hard to tell. But looks like it drops about 2 1/2 inches or so. You will definitely have to cut off the center-stand brackets so you dont ground out while riding.

If you use 10.5" shocks and you have to remove center stand, do you need to modify kickstand?

If you use 11" shocks do you need to remove center stand ?

I put the 11" shocks from 650 Central on my 78' Special. Dropped it a ton (probably just under 2"). Ride was still ok (I'm a shrimp at 130#). Centerstand tough to use and sidestand too long as well. On sidestand with forks hard right I think a light wind would have blown it over. Handling was more sluggish to me. Lower shock bolts had to be undone to remove axle since muffs were covering axle ends. Took em' off and will replace with Progressive 11.5" next spring. Have those on my SR and love em'.

In fairness to 650 Central, when I ordered the 11's I asked Mike if they were any good and he didn't say yes.

roy

Last edited:
If you use 10.5" shocks and you have to remove center stand, do you need to modify kickstand?

If you use 11" shocks do you need to remove center stand ?

I found the 11's are alright if they're set on the stiffist setting....center/service stand is a bit of a bugger to set but sidestand leans OK.

Back