Rebuild needed. Big Bore or 1st over Any help?

Lucky1963

XS650 Member
Reaction score
I have a 1979 xs650 I am doing a rebuild on and am thinking of doing a 750 big bore. What I want to know is other than the kit what other parts do I need? I am trying to get a handle on total price so I can decide whether to just rebuild or go big bore. By the way anybody in Santa Fe NM whose done this stuff????:yikes:

Thanks for your help!!!
Jack

if the bike 's bottom end is solid, and shifts good, do a 750 kit.
if the bikes top end is still runnable, get a 750 kit.
either way, you want a 750. admit. any thing less and you will not behappy.
BUT, when you get your piston pins out of the little end of the rods, check the play.

Oh I do have the boyer ignition, mukini 34s, new coil, NGK Iridium Spark Plugs,new clutch plates, Vesrah Clutch springs, Custom Fit Regulator/Rectifier. and I think thats it.

All you'd need is the kit, comes with the base and cylinder gasket and you just swap all your parts over. You'd still need new valve stem seals (since you're in there anyway), copper washers/seals, cam seals, cam housing seals, etc. But you'd need to get all of that anyway even if you just go oversized. Plus machine work.

It's really up to how tight your budget is but for a hundred or two more you could be running a 750 rather than 656 (or whatever it works out to).

Back