Rebuild or Replace Petcocks???

gbobst

Geoffrey
Reaction score
I see on Mikes xs parts, some new petcocks.......are they better than the original, should I rebuild my old ones(is this a waste of time?) or is there a better peice I am not aware of as a solution to these leaky bastards??

1972 xs 650.

Something gggary said has stuck with me - don't expect a long life from a Chinese petcock. Or words to that effect. You should be able to easily rebuild yours as good as new, with your year anyway. There are also premium brand petcocks, but don't know if any fit the xs.

Read this THREAD, it will help you make up your mind, may need to confirm the availability of rebuild kits from chacal. a lot of reports say they don't have them.

Mikes sells them but i have no idea how good they are

Just seen your petcocks are for the 72. The thread is for the later vacuum ones, may gleam some useful info.

In your case simply replacing part #27 will proably work wonders.
I've included the part number.
Don't catch the wavy ring under the face plate.

Attachments

• XS2 petcock.jpg
    XS2 petcock.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 139
When I got my 78SE, there were a couple of things that just had to be gone. The buckhorn handlebars were removed and the vacuum operated petcocks were removed.

I don't like vacuum petcocks because there's no "Off" position. Having vacuum lines also adds the possibility of air leaks causing carb problems. I bought Mikesxs manual petcocks back in 2007, and they have worked perfectly ever since. I know that when I select "OFF", they are really off.

Have a read of this thread:
http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24007

Last edited:
He has the older smaller manuals, pre-vacuum.
While I had them apart I'd clean the screen on part 36 also.
The crud build up starts closing off the holes.
I would also take part 27 with me to make sure it was the smaller/same diameter if it is any distance to the shop. Or at least a tape measure.

Back