Rebuild suggestions

j_dubbb

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just recently got to test ride my bike before I tear it apart for powder coating. I'm getting some gas in my old and I checked my carbs after sitting for a couple days and they seemed a little to wet for a bike that hasn't been ran for awhile. I'm assuming it's my float needle. When the bike is running it's blowing white smoke. I'm guess that the oil is getting in through the valves possibly since I have good compression on both sides. Just to be safe I'm planning on rebuilding the end of the engine. I've read a bit on rebuilds and it seems pretty do able but I'm wondering where is the best place to get the stuff I need. I hear mixed things about the quality of Mikes stuff. Any suggestions?

Shopping list.
-engine gasket kit.
-copper washers for the head bolts.
-cam chain and front guide (since I'll already be in there)
-cam shafts bearnings
-piston rings
And I don't know where to start withe the valves yet. What usually needs to be replaced?

replace the valve seals and get the valves lapped and cut the valve seats. I use just the regular uni filters with the rubber caps

Cam shaft bearings don't usually need replacing, only if you found a bad one, but that's not very common. Minor leaks on some of the valves caused by pitting on the seats and valve is pretty common but can usually be made good again by just hand lapping. Having the seats re-cut would only be needed in a really bad case.

Awesome. Definitely going to do the lapping and new seals. The bearings will wait if they can. Thanks for the post. You guys are awesome

Back