rebuilding carbs

Dozuki

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I have a bike that doesn't run, an xs650B, that I have been collecting parts for for quite a while. So I now have four carbs. I am not sure which ones came off of the bike but they are the same. So I was wondering how do I pick the best ones and can i rebuild them myself or should I send it to someone who won't screw it up. Thanks for the help.

I was going to send the whole bike out for a rebuild. Then I found out how much they charge per hour and how many hours it would take. OUCH. So I will have to muddle through even though I am no kind of mechanic at all. Thanks for the help again.

Paul

First get a manual. Factory, Haynes or Clymer. Or some or all manuals. Biker.net has the factory manual for download (free) or look at. Nothing beats a hardcopy. Read it. Then again. Get some Metric tools. Forget the 3/8" drive sets and get 1/4" and 1/2" drive socket sets. Others may differ, but thats my 2 cents. Open and box end wrenches. Screwdrivers and pliers and the sorts. Of course a box to hold it all securely. Part of the pride of ownership is being able to say " yes, yes I did fix it up!" We'll help you along the way if you get stuck after your research fails you. Welcome to the fun!

First get a manual. Factory, Haynes or Clymer. Or some or all manuals. Biker.net has the factory manual for download (free) or look at. Nothing beats a hardcopy. Read it. Then again. Get some Metric tools. Forget the 3/8" drive sets and get 1/4" and 1/2" drive socket sets. Others may differ, but thats my 2 cents. Open and box end wrenches. Screwdrivers and pliers and the sorts. Of course a box to hold it all securely. Part of the pride of ownership is being able to say " yes, yes I did fix it up!" We'll help you along the way if you get stuck after your research fails you. Welcome to the fun!
You omitted the impact driver.

True..and a hammer. 8oz Ball Peen.

well I have to start somewhere and it is going to be the carbs. I have a manuel now and I think I have a ball peen hammer sitting around somewhere. Is the hammer to hit myself with to make the confusion go away LoL. I am going to have to look around for some of the tools mentioned. Thanks for the pointers. I will be calling for help later I am sure.

Paul

I will get the chance to do that myself as well.... I have rebuild automotive carbs and engines but never any from a motorcycle... I have one that the needle valve for the float is leaking. I got my kits from Mike's XS the other day... I guess we will see how this paans out..... Best of luck to you.....:thumbsup:

WP_000112-1.jpg

^ wow, super clean ride. Please don't chop it!

To the OP: go to the tech section up top and check out the carb guide. It is full of information in regards to your questions and will be able to answer any questions you may have. Read it, re-read it, love it, live it. It will be your XS650 carb bible.

jmink427, Nice lookin' bike there!

Back