Rebuilding top end Help

Courtney Gubler

XS650 Member
Reaction score
I took all of your suggestions and decided to get into my top end. Glad I did torquing down the headbolts might of solved the leaking in the gaskets but it wouldnt have fixed the bigger problems. This is what I have found.

Any suggestions would be great. My rocker arms are pretty much flat,
the cam has been worn except on the outer edge where it looks like the rocker was a little off so the outer edge is raised slightly on a couple.
I'm planning on replacing the cam with Mikexs cam and replacing the rocker arms. Would you guys agree with that.

Pistons, I was watching the you tube video that night flyer has up of him tearing his top end down. His piston are nice and shiny well that sure as crap wasn't what mine looked like.
I did a compression check before I tore into it I was in between 150 to 155 on both cylinders.
Do you guys think I can clean the pistons up and be alright or is there another direction I should go with it.
You guys have helped me out a ton thank you.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 62
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    15.6 KB · Views: 64
  • photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    46.7 KB · Views: 58
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    12.5 KB · Views: 70
Last edited:
is there supposed to be a pic?

when was the last time you looked at you sump filter/side filter. sounds like lack of oil to me.

without measuring the pistons/cyl for clearance and out of round/taper its guess work.I always tell friends/customers to replace the rings atleast but a set o pistons and a bore are the best route while you're in there.

pics would help:D

IMO you would be far better off getting a 2nd hand camshaft from ebay etc than running one of the "mikes xs performance cams". From what I've heard/read they are not all that - a poor copy of a shell cam or mega #30 - Cant remember

Usually pistons will need to be cleaned,measured & re-ringed at a minimum. Your compression figures look ok. Also as above if the rocker arms are looking chopped out then look at filters,oil pump.

Manuals are downloadable - do a search on the site.....

Last edited:
Scratching mikesxs cam Ill find a cam on ebay. what about rocker arms? I will replace sump and side filter when I'm putting things back together.

Last edited:
Back