Rebuilding Yamaha Vacuum Operated Fuel Valves (Petcocks.)

Yup 5twins gets it I have to do the same thing every time trace the hole to the ON hole in the selector and that gets the tab.
They do a fit a little better the "correct" way. If it's a bit lose, and that happens, I'll cut a bit of pop can into strips and use it as a shim to snug up the fit.
Cross posted with Jim.

5Twins & Jim - Thanks! The first time I was messing with it I thought it fit equally well both ways, but in paying closer attention to it I realized it does not. And in shining a flashlight thought the screens to illuminate the inside of it, I can see that the male side goes all the way to the top third, but the female side only reaches to the first and second third, which would be the reserve side. Thank you very much for your help!

Thanks,
Ted

For the petcocks so equipped, fit a new output pipe flange gasket,

Oultlet_gask.jpg

And install the output pipe flange;

Oultet_inst.jpg

Some styles of petcock have a non-removable outlet pipe; some of the "standard" petcocks have a drain screw rather than a removable pipe; a new gasket here would be a good idea (and a new screw if corroded.)

Drain_style.jpg

Now let's install the valve body seal be sure to smear it sparingly with silicone grease too:

Valve_seal.jpg

The bigger petcock is the same; be sure you install the new o-ring on the valve lever flange;

Big_Valve_nodiff.jpg

And go ahead and install the lever (be sure you lubed the o-ring) by rotating it into place;

Wave_washer.jpg

Don't forget the wave washer on the front; then go ahead and install the face plate as well.

Now we need to install the in-tank filter standpipe. The base flange of this part will need to be filed or ground down slightly to be able to fit flush. Once again, I enlisted the trusty Dremel:

Gently_grind.jpg

This can be accomplished with a sharp fine flat file as well.

The filter pipe MUST fit flush or even slightly below the surface of the petcock body, to avoid interfering with the installation of the petcock on the tank.

Flush_necessary.jpg

Place the petcock body on your bench and press the (now recontoured) standpipe down into the petcock by pressing on both sides of the oval; it will "seat" fully and fit as pictured.

COMPLETED. Be sure to use new sealing washers (they are a special steel-mesh/composite) when refitting the petcock to the tank.

Shiny_Happy.jpg

It's a good idea to fit an in-line fuel filter ASAP, the in-tank unit you just replaced is only effective down to a certain size particle.

Filters.jpg

Chacal offers these fuel filters and clips; seeing your choices always helps decide what will fit your bike the best.

Clips.jpg

Different color fuel and vacuum lines are also available if you want to personalize your bike.

ALTERNATIVES TO REBUILDING: You can replace the petcock with a modern, vacuum operated unit (these are the same replacements offered by Yamaha) or eliminate it altogether by installing a simple on-off fuel valve:

Aftermkt_alt.jpg

L-R, BACK ROW: Stock valve (we just rebuilt;) "short" Aftermarket/Yamaha unit HCP625; tall modern unit HCP626.
FRONT ROW: On/off replacement fuel valve kit contents; "tall" stock "drain plug style" unit for comparison.

I have the HCP625 on my Black '83 since I was not all that concerned about stock appearance but wanted to retain the vacuum-operated feature.

Side by side comparisons of the (non vacuum) simple ON/OFF replacement valve and the stock valve:

Vac_elim_alt.jpg

Elim_vs_Stock.jpg

I'm not advocating replacing the vacuum operated petcock that came on your bike; I just wanted you to see the alternatives that are available.

AS ALWAYS, THIS POST IS A "WORK IN PROGRESS." Suggestions and comments are welcome; if there is anything you would like me to add or expand on please say so.

bigfitz52
Gary where are you sourcing the Chacal petcock parts
I search Chacal petcock rebuild kits and it gives me a lot of options on what I can buy but I don't see Chacal mentioned on any of the ads
This is the vacuum petcock I'm going to rebuild (81)
I'm going to keep my old petcock together to keeps parts in the correct order until new parts arrive

Attachments

• IMG_20221226_113540794.jpg
    IMG_20221226_113540794.jpg
    569.6 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_20221226_114127670.jpg
    IMG_20221226_114127670.jpg
    461.6 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_20221226_114139914.jpg
    IMG_20221226_114139914.jpg
    449.9 KB · Views: 43
Gary where are you sourcing the Chacal petcock parts
I search Chacal petcock rebuild kits and it gives me a lot of options on what I can buy but I don't see Chacal mentioned on any of the ads
This is the vacuum petcock I'm going to rebuild (81)
I'm going to keep my old petcock together to keeps parts in the correct order until new parts arrive
Chacal is XJ4ever.com. You won’t find mention of the name. You have to know exactly what you want, because he does not deal in XS650. XS1100 standards have vacuum petcocks like XS650. If you can’t sort this on your own, don’t buy XS650 parts here.

Chacal is XJ4ever.com. You won’t find mention of the name. You have to know exactly what you want, because he does not deal in XS650. XS1100 standards have vacuum petcocks like XS650. If you can’t sort this on your own, don’t buy XS650 parts here.
I should be able to source what I need by looking at thee photos Gary posted
Heavy on the should :love:

First thing to do is check partzilla etal see if the XS petcock OR it's repair parts are also used on the XS1100s then you can go forward.
Rebuilding the vacuum part is futzy, can take some careful fettling to get it functional. I hesitate to elaborate cuz well it's as easy to wreck parts as improve the action.

The diaphragm looks good it's leaking where the tank meets the petcock right now
I have the tank filled with vinegar to get what minor rust is in it
So maybe one of the cheaper kits will get me by but it will get the clean and polish and new gaskets for the mounting bolts to the tank etc.

The petcock is leaking slightly will the vinegar etch the aluminum petcock parts
I'm going to have to make a blanking plate and get that petcock off the tank

The petcock is leaking slightly will the vinegar etch the aluminum petcock parts
I'm going to have to make a blanking plate and get that petcock off the tank
If you go to XJ4ever.com for parts, keep in mind that an XS1100 Special does not have vacuum petcocks. On standards only. In my experience, parts from XJ4ever are as good or better than OE quality.

Blanking plate and gasket are now keeping vinegar in the tank and petcock partially disassembled and rinsed
The things I'll do when I know better
Must be time for a cold one

Looking at Partzilla"s part diagram I need the 2 fibre? washers for the screws that hold the petcock to the tank

GASKET

2G2-24522-00-00 says you only need 1 (number 24)
27WASHER, PLATE (number 27)
90202-05187-00 says you need 2
petcock screw gasket.png
I'm thinking these are the ones I want 'I can source them through Ebay and not have to pay Patzillas crazy postage fee
23 and 24 must be the drain plug and washer as far as I can tell

$6.49
$5.49

Looking at Partzilla"s part diagram I need the 2 fibre? washers for the screws that hold the petcock to the tank

GASKET

2G2-24522-00-00 says you only need 1 (number 24)
27WASHER, PLATE (number 27)
90202-05187-00 says you need 2
View attachment 232738I'm thinking these are the ones I want 'I can source them through Ebay and not have to pay Patzillas crazy postage fee
23 and 24 must be the drain plug and washer as far as I can tell

$6.49
$5.49

I used some from the hardware store with success. The biggest expense of putting these bikes on the road is shipping expenses.

I have a pretty good hardware store near me I will have to see if they have a fibre washer
They might, they carry a lot of metric screws / bolts etc.
I have the old washers and with the new tank to petcock seal I should be ok? if they don't

Copper :whistle: I would have thought they would have to be softer but yeah if they work they work
I got to go to my local hardware store today and scope out what they have

Back