Recording OTA tv?

weekendrider

Iron Horse cowboy
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Looking for a replacement for a VHS VCR.
We don't have satellite or cable, just an antenna.
Would/could a TiVO recorder work to record OTA signals without paying any service fees?
I've tried reading up on it but. . . . :confused:
Can anyone tell me, is it as simple as plugging the antenna to the tivo and then tivo to the tv? :shrug:

We used to do the same. The VHS recorder has given up and I'm looking for a way to simply record and play over the air tv cheaply. Don't really need or want to retain a hard copy of anything. It appears an older tivo with manual recording ability MAY work. . . .
but would like to know before paying $20-35.

WR I use my computer to record airwave tv.
here we have tiger dirrect store i bought tv signal usb device
WinTV-HVR 850 hybrid tv stick I think it was $50
just get something like this.
install it
open windows meda center
then set up the tv signal process real easy
Then you can use the guide that will be set up and record
they also sell dvd recorders still it will do all your recording just use dvdrw disks so you can reuse them
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Magnavox-...rive-DVD-Recorder-with-Digital-Tuner/36246088

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    159.4 KB · Views: 217
  • 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    192.6 KB · Views: 209
  • 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    135.1 KB · Views: 202
Last edited:
@ TwoMany
Thanks for the links. I had/have looked at the Roamio. The monthly fee discouraged that.
The Channel Master seems to be the way to go if buying new.

@ IamCarbon
The Hauppauge is well received from what I'm reading. We don't have Media Center software though. Our systems are getting a bit aged and slow for some of the new applications. I can't even watch some of the videos you post without buffering and our isp doesn't seem inclined to upgrade their systems. They sell me a 1.5mb package that speedtests around .9 or 1 mb most of the time. A call to them about it gets me a reply of "we sell the service at up-to 1.5 speeds and what you get is within our perimeters". My standard reply is if I send 2/3 of the monthly bill will it be in "primeter" and acceptable?

Reading several,several hours on forum boards I still can't determine if I could take an old tivo (with an ATSC tuner) and plug my antenna into it and record OTA signals manually without their service. Some say yes, most say no. And then there are the debates about the ethical. Are you stealing from tivo? Endless posts about the ability to hack the box and software. . . . .blah blah blah.
Still looking for a simple way to record free air without paying $2-300.

...I had/have looked at the Roamio. The monthly fee discouraged that.

Absolute ditto! I'd also like to be able to 'tivo' OTA broadcasts.
Nothing good on at certain times, too much good on at others.

@ IamCarbon .... I can't even watch some of the videos you post without buffering ...

Same here. I think my buffering is done by some old rancher with a scratchpad, 'tween me and the 18-mile-away cell tower.

... if I send 2/3 of the monthly bill will it be in "primeter" and acceptable?

Hahaha, :laughing: That made my day!

... take an old tivo (with an ATSC tuner) and plug my antenna into it and record OTA signals manually without their service. Some say yes, most say no.

Best I can figure for now, is that you won't get the channel guide features.
Edit: ATSC? Yes, that's the correct format.

Still looking for a simple way to record free air without paying $2-300.

Same here, and without complicated/dedicated PC hookup...

Last edited:
On watching my videos some times my ISP is slow and videos keep stoping and buffering what I o is go tothe bottom right of video and change to playback quality, Let's say it's 720p I will try playback at 480 which usally works and playback is good.

Looks like the Channel Master would be ideal for me, but the reviews of its ATSC receiver sensitivity are not good. My Samsung TV has an excellent tuner, I get stations 200 miles away. Receiver sensitivity/selectively specs don't get published anymore, so it's been a crapshoot finding good ones.

Have you tried this? http://transition.fcc.gov/mb/engineering/dtvmaps/

TwoMany this is now backburner till I locate a cheap TiVo. The one on CL that I inquired about didn't answer my query. . . .

Back