Rectifier/Regulator Brown wire?

Jawknee21

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Ok. im putting in a new reg/rectifier and im just wiring it how im taking it apart. i was untaping everything and i noticed that only 1 wire isnt connected to anything. my brown wire. Is it just not used or did it come off/out of somewhere else? what does the brown wire do? I have looked at wiring diagrams and other posts and i cant figure it out. Help?

If I recall correctly from my old '71, the brown wire provides switched power to the elecromagnet in the stator. It thus allows charging to occur. If you disconnect it, the bike will not charge.

wow. what was it connected to? my battery was charging fine before but that was before i untaped everything. now i cant find what its supposed to go to...:banghead:

the 4th and 5th ones shows its going to the brake light switch? i dont have a brake light switch on my rear brake...

With a wiring harness like the late TCI models, there are a lot of wires. Thus, sometimes colors are used twice (like the brake light brown & the rec/reg brown).

IF you are attempting to learn how these bikes are wired, and you are willing to take the risks associated with learning on something you want to be able to rely on, then spend some good time on the other thread and dig in. I believe that the brown wire that you are referring to is switched from the key (turns power on and off as you turn the key on and off) and basically goes to the running lights as well as to the ignition module and the regulator/rectifier. It also goes to the electromagnet at the stator. This allows the stator to actually make power to send back to the reg/rec which is then "conditioned" for lack of a better term and sent to the battery and the rest of the bike.

83. I don't understand on the wiring diagrams when all the wires look like they're together. Or is that just meaning they're running parallel to somewhere else on the bike?

Posted via Mobile

The brown wires is simlilar to an electric vein. Lots of things hook into the brown wire to get power.
The brown wiring coming out on the reg/rec connects to the brown wire that goes to the key switch and fuse panel. Look in the fuse panel. You'll see a 10amp fuse, should be 2 down from the 20amp main. It might even be labeled "signals". One brown will go to the signal flasher and splits to the canceling unit. The other side of that fuse, brown wire, goes out, a red/white wire joins it, then the brown goes into the reg/rec, then brown brush on the stator, then to the key switch.

My wiring is all hacked. I only have one fuse on my bike. The end of the brown wire was exposed which is the only
Reason I think it might have just come unwrapped from something else...

Posted via Mobile

Ah. Fun. Perhaps it is time to sit down and get really comfortable with your bike's electrical systems... and rebuild them. Wiring is actually fun, once you understand it. It is a lot like plumbing, actually. And, also like plumbing, it is way easier to do your own than to fix someone else's.

Well out of the reg/rec it should go to the brushes and join the tci at the most basic level.
Want my advice? Get a good schematic of your year and go through the entire bike. I cannot emphasize enough the importance of proper wiring. You can have the best rephased engine, thousands of dollars in frame work and accessories, but one wire can ruin your day.
I found mud, yes mud, that was probably 20 years old in my original harness. Connectors were corroded, broken wires, burned spots and, of course, when I unwrapped it like you, wires fell out. And this was the original harness, untouched by the PO. Your bike is 28 years old with substandard wiring to begin with.
Reading the schematics is not hard once you get used to it. As you asked previously, the wires start at a point and end at a point, either connecting to another wire, by the "black dot" symbol, or going directly to another part. Wires running parallel are usually in a bundle together. They are color coded for ease of use and to be universal.
Just study them a little, you'll get it.
But do not guess, never guess!!!!!

Haha. I don't want to guess. I have already had a wire burn up like a fuse in mission impossible. Trying to unplug it before it burned up anything else. Funny but a pain in the ass. And my clutch cable welded itself stuck because the bars were letting a wire ground...

Posted via Mobile

Yea It can't hurt. Especially since i cant get it started now. I have spark, fuel and a lot of backfiring. This sucks...

Posted via Mobile

looks like im going to be rewiring the whole bike. we'll see how that goes.

anyone wanna buy a bike with no wires?

im trying to find a super simple wiring diagram. most of these are close but i dont know enough to fill in the blanks. how hard is it to just run single wires over again? what colors do i need to buy?

Black
brown
red
blue
green
yellow
white

why is there purple? i think the PO had extra purple and wired other stuff with that. just like i did with black. haha...

Back