Redneck Ring Compressor

pjmule

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Doing a top end rebuild for the first time on my xs ,getting the rings compressed at the same time on both pistons as you put the cylinder on wasn't easy without a ring compressor. So I found some cable ties wide enough to cover the rings and snugged them up enough to compress the rings, but loose enough so they would slide down when I lowered the cylinder. It worked flawlessly! How is everyone else doing this on a rebuild?

I guess there are many ways, but this is how I did mine:

First thing is you don't have to do both pistons at the same time. I install the pistons, one at a time, with the cylinders on the bench, up-side down. I use popcicle sticks to help compress the rings and with the chamfer on the cylinder bottom, they go in very easily. You leave the bottom of the piston protruding from the cylinder.

Now with the cylinder/piston combos horizontal, install the inner spring clip for both wrist pins. Slide the cylinder/piston combo onto the crankcase until the conn rod hole aline with the pistons. Install the wrist pins and outer spring clips. Slide the cylinders fully into the crankcase.

Very simple, and no ring compressor required.

Attachments

• Piston Cylinder Install 3.JPG
    Piston Cylinder Install 3.JPG
    228.1 KB · Views: 237
i didnt use a ring compressor either.if you dont have overbored sleaves, it is easier because of the chamfer at the bottom.
Put the pin clips in the pistons were they are in the center of the engine(make sense?)
first. Then I used a a ink pen cap so that the plastic woudlnt scar the rings or sleaves as I pushed the rings into the bores, little by little working my way around enuf to get all the rings in, then I put a peice of wood to supprt the cyl. so I could slide in the pins thru the rods, and install the pin clips.

retiredgentleman, I like that idea on putting the pistons in first then lowering them on the rods. I'm use to building old single cylinder two strokes where I only had one cylinder to worry about.

retiredgentleman, I like that idea on putting the pistons in first then lowering them on the rods. I'm use to building old single cylinder two strokes where I only had one cylinder to worry about.

I found it was simple to have the cylinder/piston and crankcase in the horizontal, so you don't even have to block the weight ................just slide them together.

Putting the pistons in the cylinders first is not my idea. That method has been kicking around the internet for quite a long time.

I did mine the same way retiredgentleman did, only my motor was standing up. I stuck the piston pins in partway before lowering the cylinder onto the studs and rods, then I used two pieces of thinwall steel tube under the piston skirts to hold them straight until I could get the piston pins through the rods. I then stuffed rags in the case opening and put in the outer circlips.

I have used big radiator hose clamps as a ring compressor too.

I did it like RG but I had the engine standing up. I used two pairs of vise grips clamped to the studs to support the cylinders.
Leo

Back