Redoing clutch and saw this....

RFritz79

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Before I was gona button my clutch up I noticed this behind it. Looked in the manual and couldn't find how it should go. Should that clip go in that U shape groove? Seems like it should go there. Motor hasn't been ready to fire since I bought it. No idea what the PO did to it. I can see wear marks on the case from where that clip was riding

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    191 KB · Views: 168
that's fine , tis the revised positon from Yamaha for the clip that provides the necessary resistance for the electric starter to engage, check out the starter motor problems in the tech section

I meant to say, if you put the engine back in the bike and you do have trouble with the starter engaging due to the clip then it is easy enough to do the work with the engine in place. Just drain the oil, remove the foot peg/brake pedal/kicker and the side cover will come of easily. The gasket can be reused along with the oil. You may need to get the clutch removal tool to this if there is an issue. When taking the clutch apart keep careful check on the order of things, especially the sequence of washers either side of the flat bearing. The washer behind the nut that holds the clutch assembly together is actually a conical spring. Ensure it goes bask on the way it came off. At first glance it looks like a washer that has been over-tightened.

Back