Regulator/rectifier direction for 1971

oldbmw1

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a 1971 xs1 with points. It's missing stock regulator/rectifier. Do I find a stock old style original regulator/rectifier or go with newer style? I have the newer style in a parts stash. Does newer finned style reg/rect plug right in or are there modifications that one can advise on?

Well, the stock regulator is 40 years old and it wasn't very good even when brand new, so the obvious answer is to go with the "finned" regulator.

However, not all "finned" regulators are created equal. Generally, if it is finned, that would indicate that it is a combined regulator / rectifier and it would replace both on your bike. The more complicating factor is that regulators come in two distinct flavors. Those that provide a regulated battery voltage to the rotor and those that provide a regulated ground to the rotor.

Your 1971 XS650 requires a regulated battery supply to the rotor. Most "finned" regulators provide a regulated ground, so you will have to find out more about the regulator that you have. If it is of the regulated ground variety, then you will have to do the nylon screw mod to your brush holder.

As far as wiring is concerned, your best bet would be to go to MikesXS and buy the appropriate matching plugs for your regulator and rectifier and then modify the wiring on the finned regulator to make it plug and play without having to cut up your factory wiring. Unless, of course, your finned regulator is the model from MikesXS that is designed for your bike and you just didn't want to tell us that!

Also if your Finned reg/rec came off some other bike than an XS650 it might be for a Permanent Magnet Alternator. If so it won't work well with the stock feild excited alternator.
You need to figure out what or where your finned reg/rec came from.
Leo

Thanks for the info. Will go the finned newer style route. There are
Some donor bikes available to me. Thanks.

Back