Regulator/ Rectifier swap

kelso

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I am using a 78 motor with a pamco and wiring from scratch. I need a reg/rec and from what I see they are separate on the 78. There is a reg/rec on my 1980 that i'd like to use. I was trying to figure out if there were any issues with using the one off of the 80 and I noticed that the reg/recs that mikesxs sells are different part numbers for earlier and later years (pre and post 79). I am thinking that this is only because of the wiring setup on a stock bike and that it shouldn't matter since I am starting from scratch. Any thoughts?

Mikesxs reg/rec for 1980-84 is part #24-2087 and it says that it is not for use with older models.

78-79 models are part #24-2089 and it has this disclaimer

Note:
This Rectifier/Regulator is sold only for use with stock 1970-79 wire harnesses.
If you are purchasing it for use on a chopper or custom, please note that we can't
accept returns for any reason due to the possibility of it being incorrectly installed.

According to the link to the other thread that Grinder posted I would need to unground my 78 motor with nylon screws.
Retiredgentleman wrote "The diagram you posted does not tell the complete story. That diagram ( unground the 3 screws) is correct only if you are using a 80 to 83 type of regulator with a 70 to 79 stator/brush alternator. The 70 to 79 years all had one grounded brush, whereas the 80 to 83 years do not."

So unless I am missing something the regulator from my 80 was used with an ungrounded stator while the 78 motor is grounded and I would need to unground the 78 in order to work with the reg/rec from the 80?
Dogbunny I know that you are saying to do the opposite, am I thinking incorrectly about this?

Back