Remote master cylinder

brady

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
So im looking to use a remote master cylinder and have it cable operated.. as I don't want the MC on the bars.

I got a nissin rear MC off a MX bike... I forget exactly what but it was off like a 250.

I made an actuating bracket, and im using inverted levers but I just don't get enough clamp on the front pads. (stock single caliper)

Im a little overwhelmed with the numbers of bore and stroke etc..... how do I ID what the MC I have is?

What bore and stroke should I be looking for?.... taking into account there will be some loss in movement with the cable side of things.

Anyone know of a particular bike MC that will work?

Sorry for all the questions but ive spent countless hours working on it and researching to no avail, your help will be greatly appreciated as im about to give up on it.... but really need it to work.

Thanks in advance!

BMW used a cable operated front brake M/C on the mid '70's airheads.

Hi brady,
yeah, BMW were also hiding their m/cs back in '74.
the surest way to determine your m/c and caliper seal diameters is to take the components apart and measure the seals.
That done, do this:-
Step 1)
find the mechanical leverage of the stock lever (middle of grip to pivot vs pivot to hydraulics)
Step 2)
determine what leverage your cable system has (should be ~ the same)
Step 3)
Google Vintage Brake and look at their m/c to caliper ratio chart.
Step 4)
compare those numbers to what yours are.
Step 5)
adjust accordingly.

looking for this option as well to use on my springer frontend.
figured the xs rear MC would work but you just got me having second thoughts on that.
I do know that in general inverted levers have a smaller momentum then "normal" levers.
does your lever use maximum brake capacity? in other words are you squeezing the piston to the max? if not you could consider the bigger momentum on your actuator setup.

then again... following the data on Mikes XS site the front brake has a 13mm piston bore where the rear MC has a 8 mm bore.
if you can find one which is gets close to the 13 mm you should be good offcourse

maybe you can post a pic for better understanding?

Back