remote oil filters...

AceofSpades

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Let me start by saying that I am sure this topic has been beaten to death on here, yet I could not find the info I was looking for.

I have seen a few XSs with a remote mounted oil filter and would like to know what is involved in this modification, and does it retain or replace the stock style sump filter?

I would really like to be able to just go to O'Rilley's and pick up a WIX, FRAM or K&N oil filter rather than paying $25 a pop for stock sump filters.

Neither of the stock oil filters is supposed to be changed for a new one; just cleaned and put back.

Be my guest. Opens up the possibility of better filtering maybe.

And check out XSLeo on this topic. I've tilted a pint with 'im. That cat could get a Kenmore washing machine to place top ten at Infinion, I swear to ya. :p

Hello.

It´s very easy! At least Rudiger at xs650shop.de has all the stuff you´ll need to be able to change both filter to paperfilters. And Rudiger get most of his parts from MikeXS as far as I understand.

I did the oilfilter change on my own about a week ago and it took me an hour and a half. Really easy!

/BigBoreSwede

Attachments

• FB206386.jpg
    FB206386.jpg
    120.5 KB · Views: 339
  • FB206388.jpg
    FB206388.jpg
    122.5 KB · Views: 300
  • FB206390.jpg
    FB206390.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 467
  • FB206392.jpg
    FB206392.jpg
    114.5 KB · Views: 334
  • FB206400.jpg
    FB206400.jpg
    131 KB · Views: 368
I don't know a whole lot about the oil movement in the XS650, so I'm wondering would a remote oil filtration system like this be possible?

copper_lines.JPG

If not, why?? If so, where would the in and out come from?

Thanks for satisfying my curiosity.

Yes, it can be done. It has been done. Just off the top of my head, I know blacksmithbilly did an xs with a remote oil filter. I believe he modified the tubes at the oil filter cover.

I don't know a whole lot about the oil movement in the XS650, so I'm wondering would a remote oil filtration system like this be possible?

copper_lines.JPG

If not, why?? If so, where would the in and out come from?

Thanks for satisfying my curiosity.

This is what I was wanting to know about..... I want this type of set up on my machine..

Nope, I had the two mods kind of melded together in my head. That's for an oil cooler. He also posted up pics of a finned clutch cover he did with a remote oil filter mod, that he put on his son's scoot. Jeepurz over at TCU has also done oil cooler and remote filter mods. He does great work, and would be an excellent resource to get some information from as well. Don't hesitate to go over there and hit them both up for info. They're both standup guys and will give you some great ideas to work with. I'd ask Jeepurz first, just because he's on there quite a bit more than billy.

I built my own spin on sump filter, and the right side cover mods. The right side cover mods can be done so you can retain the stock oil filter in the cover. Or you can leave it out.
The sump filter spin on filter replaces the internal sump filter screen. I made my spin on filter to use any filter with a 3/4 inch by 16 threads per inch filter. You can get adapters that will fit most any filter. The one I used on the sump was for a garden tractor. They sell for about $11 at most any place that sells garden tractors. If you get an adapter to fit the metric filters like most foreign cars use then you might find a small filter that will be cheaper.
With the side cover adaptations, you can plumb in a filter and a cooler. Run the oil out of the engine to the filter, then to the cooler. The oil filters better before the cooler.Then back into the engine.
I set it up to use a 3/4 x 16 oil filter. I can use a PH8A filter, this filter will add about 1 quart to the oil capacity. More oil can make the engine a bit cooler and the extra oil will help lubricate better longer.
I think I have a few pics. If I can Find them I'll try to post them.

I built my own spin on sump filter, and the right side cover mods. The right side cover mods can be done so you can retain the stock oil filter in the cover. Or you can leave it out.
The sump filter spin on filter replaces the internal sump filter screen. I made my spin on filter to use any filter with a 3/4 inch by 16 threads per inch filter. You can get adapters that will fit most any filter. The one I used on the sump was for a garden tractor. They sell for about $11 at most any place that sells garden tractors. If you get an adapter to fit the metric filters like most foreign cars use then you might find a small filter that will be cheaper.
With the side cover adaptations, you can plumb in a filter and a cooler. Run the oil out of the engine to the filter, then to the cooler. The oil filters better before the cooler.Then back into the engine.
I set it up to use a 3/4 x 16 oil filter. I can use a PH8A filter, this filter will add about 1 quart to the oil capacity. More oil can make the engine a bit cooler and the extra oil will help lubricate better longer.
I think I have a few pics. If I can Find them I'll try to post them.

Thanks for the info...I'm really looking forward to the pictures. :thumbsup:

Back