Remove cam chain tensioner to split cases?

TAlber8

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Can I leave the cam chain tensioner in top half to split cases?

It’s newer (currently replacing bad bottom end) so condition of tensioner fine. I stupidly reused the star screws before now they want to strip coming out and I don’t want to deal with them if I don’t have to.

these screws don’t go into lower half do they?

Attachments

• 54652549-2DDF-45B5-A3B2-8633085AC5F2.jpeg
    54652549-2DDF-45B5-A3B2-8633085AC5F2.jpeg
    98.6 KB · Views: 142
IMHO I will say yes.
I have done it that way with no problems.

Got them out, they don’t reach that deep.

2 short, 2 longer

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    196.5 KB · Views: 131
i found the photos from removing mine... sounds wierd but they where caty corner to eachother

I wrote in my buildup thread that the long screws go on the right. You guys let me know if I got that wrong so I can correct it.

lol. i will let you guys know what i find out, but so far we have

both long ones in back...talber8
long ones caty corner, one front one back on oposing sides: ... me billyicon
both on the right side:... jim

i have a feeling we will soon find outo_O.
im going to take a close look at the case, and also the surounding areas bellow the mounting bolt holes and return with my opinion

The two long one are shouldered for alignment. Should be pretty easy to see which holes have the threads deeper to accommodate the shoulder.

yes illuminate confirmed ,lol I just took a good look at the case I have apart right now, the long ones go in the right hand side, the left holes are threaded all the way to the to, to be exsact jim the two long bolts dont really have shoulders, as far as I know a shoulder is as big around (OD) as the outside of the threads, so If you where to run "shouldered bolts into the wrong holes you would wipe out the threads, the longer bolts dont have threads on part of the bolt but it is actually slightly smaller than the threads so you wouldnt ruin the threads, BUT it is still obvious looking at the case that they both go on the right side,

A "shouldered" bolt screw fastener has a shank that's larger than the threads. We can argue the size of the shoulder... and even the shape, but if it meets that criteria... it's shouldered. The reason for the shoulder varies, but in the case of the chain tensioner, it's for alignment purposes. The horizontal one is not shouldered for comparison. The 3 verticals are shouldered. The one on the left is from the right side of the chain tensioner. If yours doesn't look like that, it's not the right one.
Yeah... I used to teach this stuff... a hard habit to break. :rolleyes:

IMG_20200502_000417.jpg

Plated left raw right.
2 screws are SCREW, SPECIAL SHAPE 90149-06009-00 NLA
Cam guide screws.jpg

Please 'scuse the dirty motor, it meant no harm.
key words
cam guide screw bolt long short shoulder location left right diagonal front rear top bottom location block chain crankcase assembly which thread color

Last edited:
Back