Removed Side Cover - now clutch whacked?

rockslide

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
hey guys ... this is probably a simple fix and am hoping someone out there can help me out. The other day I took off the side cover that the clutch cable goes into ... did my inspection and put the cover back on.

Now my clutch setting is way out of whack. I have to let the clutch lever almost ALL the way out before the motor engages. Before I took off the side cover it would engage much sooner. How do I get it back to that setting ?

Thanks in advance ...

-Mark-

I think you lose the ball bearing that goes into the clutch push screw housing assembly (where your cable is connected). There's one at each end of the clutch pushrod.

I think you lose the ball bearing that goes into the clutch push screw housing assembly (where your cable is connected). There's one at each end of the clutch pushrod.

Yep. One of those things that you don't notice right away, unless you've lost it before, as I did when working on my CB350 in the eighties.

Also the cable is stepped it may have slipped on you. Also did you grease the clutch mechanism during your "inspection"?

Hey guys ... so I've searched my XS manual ... I've searched YOUTUBE ... and I searched the internet. I found this view:
http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Yamaha/Motorcycle/1978/XS650SE/CLUTCH XS650SG/parts.html

I searched my garage floor and didn't see any ball bearings laying on the floor ... so you are saying that there's a ball bearing ON THE END of the clutch pushrod? It appears from the diagrams that there's ball bearings inside where the shaft is inserted ... but it sounds like you're telling me theres also one on the outside? Sorry for being so dense ... just trying to figure out what I did wrong here ... thanks!!

There's one in the worm gear assembly. It's not shown on the parts diagram because it's part of the assembly. It's held in place by crimps .....

WormGearCrimps.jpg

..... but over time, the pushrod wears them away and the ball can fall out when you remove the cover. If you remove the adjuster screw from the worm gear and can see right through it, you've lost the ball.

Last edited:
Got it!!! Pictures are worth a 1000 words - thanks a ton man!! I checked and yeah, there's a ball bearing in mine. It's there. So .... I took the side cover off again to check and put it all back on carefully - this time my clutch works like it used to. I must have had something crimped or didn't have push rod set correctly in the hole ... who knows. Its working nice and I'm now able to cruise down the road again.

Once again the XS650 site AND IT'S EXPERIENCED MEMBERS saved me. Thanks a ton!!

-Mark-

Back