Removing tach gear from oil pump

Tim of DO THE TON

XS650 Junkie
Reaction score
I'm prepping the clutch cover for some media blasting and want to get the oil pump out to inspect etc.

I've pulled the tach drive shaft out, and removed the 10mm nut on the worm gear, but for the life of me I can't remove it or the larger gear driving the oil pump.

The pump itself seems seized - this clutch cover came off an engine I completely tore apart and rebuilt (750 rephase) but I used my existing known-good polished clutch cover on that engine.

Building another engine and this is the only clutch cover I have. Removing the oil filter cover revealed LARGE metal shavings. The engine had holed pistons - was a real disaster.

Regardless - any thoughts? Can't get this gear off to save my life to expose the screws holding the pump in.

The worm gear and the larger gear just lift off. Try a heat gun and gentle prying or a heat gun and a gear puller, if you can figure out how to fit one in there. Pry, don't twist. Do what it takes, it is unlikely that you will hurt anything.
BTW, you will need a hand-held impact screwdriver to loosen the 3 phillips screws under the larger gear. And then, you will need more gentle prying to remove the pump housing. The housing gets sort of stuck on the two alignment pins in the main cover. Pry, don't twist.

Will throw some heat on it. I recalled it just lifting off but clearly they're gummed up on this set.

BTW - I managed to crack the glass on one of the two thermo-dip sticks I got from you. I suppose it cannot be repaired correct? No big deal - will run it with the crack (clean crack right across the entire glass) but figured I'd ask.

Sorry, there is nothing you can do if you break the glass as far as I know. I'll sell you a replacement at my cost. PM me if interested.

Back