For Sale - Rephased crank and cam for XS1 256 engine. $500 shipped

Phail

Reaction score
*** Going to put them in my other engine since I destroyed my new build. ***

I bought this rephased crank and cam but didn't know it was for a XS1. I've already bought everything for the 447 engine and now I can't use this rephase. My loss.

I paid $500 shipped. I'll sell it for $500 shipped or best offer. (or trade for a 447 rephased crank/cam)

It's for XS1 256 engine. If you are getting new pistons anyway then you can use this in your engine by using the XS1 pistons, timing chain, possibly need the tensioner too.

If I didn't already buy the other stuff I would run it.

Shipping Info:
Shipping from Reno, NV UPS location
32 lbs in a 16x10x9 inches box

USPS boxes are getting smaller all the time.

New Photos:

IMG_20150423_101216.jpg

IMG_20150423_101226.jpg

IMG_20150423_101236.jpg

IMG_20150423_101326.jpg

IMG_20150423_101334.jpg

Last edited:
Who did the rephase? bearings replaced? is the crank welded? What rods? I am interested in it.

This set was built here at HHB, by a prior employee. It is for an XS1 (note, there are no provision for electric start on the crank, it will be a kick only engine) - it should be a fully welded crank, but it's been a while. He was building it for a personal build

If I recall, it has 256 rods, so you will want matching pistons of course. :thumbsup:

This set was built here at HHB, by a prior employee. It is for an XS1 (note, there are no provision for electric start on the crank, it will be a kick only engine) - it should be a fully welded crank, but it's been a while. He was building it for a personal build

If I recall, it has 256 rods, so you will want matching pistons of course. :thumbsup:

:thumbsup:

This might be the final piece to build up a 71 engine, I have a new 256 750 kit. Are those stock rods with oil slots or? Full welded crank, I guess that one's not coming apart again!

Builder, this your work?

This might be the final piece to build up a 71 engine, I have a new 256 750 kit. Are those stock rods with oil slots or? Full welded crank, I guess that one's not coming apart again!

Builder, this your work?

It would be OEM rods, slotted in the big end, drilled in the top end for wrist pin oiling. Should be bolt in and go on a 71 set of cases... It should be fully welded, we don't do them otherwise unless the customer asks, and they rarely ask for an unwelded crank :thumbsup:

Guess this is as good a place to ask as any; IIRC there are a few different "early cam" profiles. We have any idea which this is?

Phail, have a look inside the cam ends. The original -00 cam on the XS1 and early XS1Bs supposedly used needle bearings as the innermost bearings for the points/advancer shaft.

Of course, after 45 years and whatever/whoever work was done to twist the cam, it may be questionable whether those were pulled/changed.

Edit: Also, just to be sure, count the teeth of the crank and cam sprockets...

I think I can just barely see needle bearings in there. If so, it's a good chance that's an early -00 256 cam...

Oh, forgot to mention in the previous post.

No needle bearings in there. But there is two grooves on each side just inside and what looks like brass bushing behind that.

Haha, well, I'm easily fooled. Looked like little vertical lines on that inner bearing in that last pic.
The 256 cam had revisions up to -09. After the -00 original, those inner bushings changed to solids. Outside of a cam grind error (inconsistent base circle), and possible supplier change, whatever other changes occurred I have no idea...

Bump to top. For sale again. I'm not going to build my engine again. Going to put my stock engine in and just ride it.

Back