replaced new clutch disc, cable, springs

nobackhair

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can't tell what doesn't seem right. Checked everything at least twice. Worm, ball bearings, correct adj. at nut w/ screw, washers and their alignment before replacing large nut. I noticed there was a 1/2" of play in cable before I made any adjust. Well I did something I haven't heard of or read about. At the end of cable where it sits in clevis at end of worm, I cut a nut on 1 side, opened it up enough to slip it over the cable end, crimped the nut closed and replaced cable in clevis. After adjusting I pulled lever in all the way and the clutch only moves on one edge maybe an 1/8th" at 3 o'clock. I had already done evrything w/out adding that nut to pick up that slack and it moved an 1/8th" evenly. I haven't started the bike to really test it. Used Ferodo disc, 650central best cable and 14% stronger springs. Can I cry now? One thing I forgot to mention. The plastic piece in worm was broken in 3 pieces. Could it be splaying out enough to cause this. I turned engine over 180 degrees and has same issue where only one side moved.

Thanks for responding. Forgot to add that to list of what I supposedly did right. I have another bike I'm going to take the worm assem. from since the existing one is in 3 pieces (nylon piece). Might be the issue but I doubt it. Going to ck. the washers and bearing align. again. I kicked it over a few times to see if snything would have changed. Natha. I've been advised not to buy the new worm assem. from Mike's XS. It seemed to work best when I first did this but I wasn't getting more than an 1/8th" of movement when I depressed the cable.

Back