Replacement for stock points coil

snoosky

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anyone know of an coil upgrade I could use on a points bike?

I bought a two new coils from Mikes xs650 coil.png

about a year ago and the tower caps just wont screw on tight enough. Probably some cheap chinese garbage.. I looked through previous posts but the links seem to be outdated.

79' XS650
stock points ignition

You could try putting an o-ring around the wire for the cap to tighten against if that's all that wrong with it. Worth a shot vs. springin' for new coils.

There is an o-ring/ grommet in there. Trouble is the cap wont screw on tight. Right when it gets just about snug, it pops onto the next thread. I've had to duck tape (my new coils) since I installed them. Its getting to be a pain cause the vibration will eventually want to back the plug wire out... and has :/

Yes, there's even tons of used good stock ones out there. Yamaha used this coil on lots of different bikes.

Yes, there's even tons of used good stock ones out there. Yamaha used this coil on lots of different bikes.
Yes, the RD250 and 350 used them. And I do believe the LS2 did as well. And most likely a lot of the other 2 stroke twins.
But these OEM coils are regarded as pretty marginal by many engine builders and "gurus". So good aftermarket alternatives may well be worth a few dollars.

Yeah, I was looking for something above average for a replacement until I pull the trigger on a HHB ignition system. Thanks guys

Back