Replacement OEM seat foams not readily available

Would you buy a replacement OEM-type seat foam if available?

• Yes, if the foam was correct for my year and model.

Votes: 5 71.4%
  • No, I would replace my old foam myself with my chosen materials.

Votes: 2 28.6%

• Total voters

nhsteve

XS650 Addict
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
Greetings to all XS addicts! Apologies for this long post in advance ( :redface: )

I decided to start a separate thread on this as I didn't want to hijack another close to this subject. There is one going on "Standard" seats and foam going already, with some good info and also pics showing the differences, and kudos to those contributing that info.

I was searching for a replacement seat foam to the OEM style/shape for a '78 Standard myself. I've replaced a few foams (DT, RD, KZ) on other bikes in the stable over the last several years, and been pleased enough with the results, but when I went to do the same again, was surprised that there were none. As in : not made, not sold. Yes, I could get a repro seat complete from Mikes, but I didn't want that, I just want to freshen the foam.

Yes, I know I can do that by getting foam and/or gel, and cutting a shaping, and probably get an even better end result comfort-wise. But I was puzzled that nowhere could I find the foam insert shaped to fit the seat pan and cover as original. So I emailed Mikesxs, and asked them about making replacement seat foams for the XS series (after all, they are the main go-to website for most anyone initially working on these bikes). So far, no reply.

I had provided a seat foam for a DT360 as a mold or sample to KDI reproductions, who make and sell seat foam and covers for the DT enduro series. So I contacted him again, and asked if he would be interested and able to do so. He got right back to me, and indicated an initial reluctance to jump into making them without knowing the real need out there. I've contacted a member here with a foam for '74-'76 that I am buying so I can send to KDI as a start to a mold/form.

So I would like to poll the group. (I'll probably botch the next part, sorry)

Question) IF there was a direct replacement seat foam available, would you buy it, or just DIY?

yeh it’s strange no one makes them, although I did see one on ebay in the UK for early models, yet they are easy to get for some other bikes which were no where near as popular, like the SR500, there’s numerous places to buy foam for them but they weren’t made in the same numbers as the XS650.

I've seen new seat foam available for the RD's. I know the XS and RD's shared a lot of parts. Does anyone know if the seats are similar enough to use the RD foam?

I don't think so. I actually have an RD250 I am working on, that I just purchased a replacement seat foam for from HVC. If I get a minute I'll try to get the seats together for a side-by-side comparison pic.

3 years back I was finishing work on a '78 KZ1000B2 LTD. Absolutely hated the original stepped seat (it was in bad shape anyway), so I replaced the foam and cover with reproduction foam and cover for the same year A model (the "standard" model). I literally had my pick of foam and covers from Z1Enterprises. I just went to their site to get a comparison price for that foam, and ......... gone! I could find only a few covers and seat assemblies (all out of stock- I assume due to Covid). What I did notice was that the layout and stock carried seemed identical to Mikesxs (I know they are aligned somehow). The emphasis on their site seems to have shifted away from keeping the bikes standard and on to guys building bobbers and choppers. I can understand selling what your customers are looking for, but maybe some others of us are getting forgotten. My :twocents:.

Just to clarify, MikesXS, Dime City, Z1, and Randakks are all under one roof in Tampa, FL. They are all one in the same, however, they will not combine accounts. You may only pick from one catalog when you shop, as if they’re in different parts of the country. In reality, they’re grabbing from the same bins. I bought my MikesXS seat cover from Dime City.

As you were.

Dave Kolbo at KDI has indicated that were they to undertake making reproductions, that the estimated cost per seat foam would be approximately $85-$90 each. While that may sound high to some, that is roughly what I spent on the KZ1000 and RD250 seat foams I did recently.

So far only 3 have taken the poll, so maybe not such a big issue. I am still purchasing the seat foam elsewhere on this site, and most likely will forward on to KDI, for them to have in case they decide to go forward some day.

Back