Replacement Reg/Rec

barelycompetent

81 XS650 Special
Reaction score
Ok so I am not sure if my reg/rec is good or not. I have an 81 special that Im sure most of you are aware of the problems I have been having with it. I ohmed and tested my stator and it tested good, my pickups tested good, my rotor tested good, and got a good slap test with it. Brand new NOS coil and replacement 5k NGK caps. Battery is charged up and tested good. With the reg/rec unplugged the bike starts and runs normally, with it plugged in I can not get it to rev over 3-4k rpms. Unplug the reg/rec it runs normally. Now again I dont know if my reg/rec is bad or not, but I was thinking of trying this one as a replacement for it. At only 35 bucks I dont mind putting that into it. I know its a cheap one but if it fixes my problem then Im only going to be selling this bike and not keeping it, if it doesnt fix the problem then Im only out 35 bucks. Anyone ever use one of these before? Here is the link..http://www.ebay.com/itm/REGULATOR-R...:1981|Model:XS650&hash=item3f379064b8&vxp=mtr

Or if anyone has any other ideas as to what could be wrong with this bike Im all ears lol, I just dont want to put anymore money into a bike Im only going to be selling once its running normally.

RG that is the one thing I have NOT tried yet. I just had my rotor replaced back in October because of no charging. Its charging now, but that magnet may just be the cause of all of my problems. For a couple bucks it cant hurt to try. I will get back to you guys after I give it a shot.

I hope this gets it. Suggested rare earth magnet with a dab of jbweld to hold it on.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 214
Well I never would have thought that the brand new rotor, replaced in October of 2013, or that little tiny magnet in it would have been the cause of all of my headaches. But it was. The magnet fix pictured above, resolved my running issues. Even after sitting for a month, it fired right up, almost quicker then it did before, rev'ed right up, ran down the road for a few miles with nary a problem. Got it good an hot, and still no issues. Now for a bit of tweaking and rerouting of my clutch and throttle cables, and tighten a few bolts that I must have missed and she will be ready for the road and a new owner. Cant believe that, minus the cost of a new coil which I sorely needed, that for 3 bucks and a little JB weld the problem would be fixed. Thank you RG for the suggestion, and for everyone else that responded on my other threads with ideas and suggestions. The help is much appreciated! Now to get her cleaned up and listed on craigslist, my Harley and my brand new Triumph Thruxton will be getting most of my attention now!

Well, I can't say I'm sorry to see you go. Apparently those new $10K+ bikes are more your speed. Just keep air in the tires and gas in the tanks and they should treat you well. An old motorcycle is somewhat of an acquired taste. It requires a greater commitment and more attention than a newer bike. They're definitely not for everyone.

Thanks 5twins, I think? The Triumph was actually under 10k lol, the Harley, not so much. I may be selling this 650 but I didnt say I was going anywhere, the things I have learned here and discovered may come in handy for someone else so you cant get rid of me that easily. I love the xs650, and other vintage bikes, just not this xs650. Been more of a pain then anything, but Im sure down the road I wont be able to resist another one, the vintage bikes are alot of fun and so easy to work on. While this bike has been a discovery process and a huge learning curve, it let me down in a big way when it stranded me on the side of the road 86 miles from home on a weekend road trip. Couple that with all of the other issues I have been having with it and well the trust is gone. Plus I still want to annoy you with all of my asked and already answered questions, because a friend of mine just picked up his first xs650 so he has asked me to help him with it lol.

Back