Replacement Rim for a '72?

Jessezm

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
So on my '72 restoration project, the rear rim isn't in the best condition - the chrome has a lot of rough spots where rust/corrosion has sort of "bubbled" through. So it appears that the rim would need to be re-chromed or replaced if I want it to look as nice as the rest of the bike. Chrome shops have said it's going to be fairly expensive to do, so I'm looking for a good replacement. These are chrome plated steel rims on this year, correct? Is it wrong to assume that most 36-hole, 2.15 X 18 rims would lace up to the stock hub using the original spokes? Or is there a lot more to it? I was reeeeeeeeeally hoping to avoid rebuilding the wheel but I'll do it if necessary. I still have a dial indicator from the last time I did it (though I swore it would be the last time!)

Yes, they were chrome plated steel. Yes, I think about any replacement should work. The original spokes are probably pretty ratty by now. They were only cad plated and that doesn't stand up very long. If you're going to go through all the trouble of re-doing the wheel, stainless spokes would be my choice.

Cool thanks! Yeah, I'd probably do new spokes. Though the originals are pretty decent. It would just give me an excuse to tear through them with a bolt cutter rather than remove them individually, which is painfully laborious.

Old spokes are handy to have as spares and they can also be turned into some pretty cool "special tools". I only cut out the ones that won't come apart. Speaking of the "special tools", it turns out the threads used are the same as those on the tops of spark plugs. If you do the dead cylinder method of tuning your carbs, little adapters can be made for the plugs. These will allow you to quickly and easily alternately short out one cylinder, then the other, with a long screwdriver to the fins .....

CylinderGrounds.jpg

- - - I was reeeeeeeeeally hoping to avoid rebuilding the wheel but I'll do it if necessary. I still have a dial indicator from the last time I did it (though I swore it would be the last time!)

Hi Jessezm
like a lot of life's activities, to more you do it the easier it gets so bite the bullet and get lacing, eh?

Back