replacement TACH cables

AceofSpades

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
does anyone know what to do about this?

I bought a replacement tach cable from MIKE'S XS (ya, I know):banghead: and when I started to pull the old cable off my 75 XS650..... NOT EVEN CLOSE...

the cable I bought is the same as the speedo cable.... both ends have "female threaded collars" and my old tach cable has a male threaded end at the drive in the engine case....:wtf:

I know, pictures would make it easier to understand, but my phone sucks and so does my computer... so I cant get them to upload right now.:shrug:

lol. No it didn't :D

There is a piece that you can take off of the right side case cover, but that's part of the tach drive. There is a collar that screws into that as well. If you're missing the tach drive piece itself then that's a whole nother story.

Attachments

• tachdrive.jpg
    tachdrive.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 84
Last edited:
the tach drive piece that locks into the case is ok, but the new cable will not ...... I gotta go back out to the garage and look at that stuff a little closer.... but I think the old cable has a male thread.... maybe its an old replacement cable? idk, gotta go back out and look again....

maybe I should look a bit closer at 36 year old parts.... lol

OK so I am an IDIOT!!!! but in my defense, it required some heat from a MAPP gas bottle torch and a vise to seperate the old cable from the fully threaded insert.
The tach works now, but seems a bit slow reacting... you can hear and feel the RPMs climb much faster than the tach swings.. any ideas?
I am replacing both gauges after this season so I don't want to spend any real money on it....

Oil your new cable maybe? Many of these replacement cables come dry and need lubing before use. I know they sell a special speedo cable lube at the auto parts store. It's got graphite in it or something. That's what I use on speedo and tach cables. I pull the cable core out of the sheath and wipe the length down with the lube. Use sparing on the top 6".

Back