Replacing 35mm fork tubes

Thanks for the advise, how is that space between the fork leg and the speedo drive created? I'm putting it together with all second hand parts I have bought separately so I haven't seen it together or pulled it apart myself

Yes, the head of the axle is larger in diameter than the shank that runs through the wheel. It acts as an infinitely adjustable spacer. You snug up the axle nut 1st and that pulls the head of the axle through the left fork lower to just where it needs to be. The axle clamp on the bottom of the left leg should be left loose for this. Then you should apply the front brake or put the wheel against a wall and pump the forks up and down a few times. This will "center" or align that loose left fork lower just where it needs to be.

Yip awesome done! Mocked up at the moment and have got my hands on the right length steering stem for the trees but it's on a 34mm lower so will grind and press it out. Then press it into the 35 mm lower I have.
Feeling achievable now.

Pics

Attachments

• IMG_1746.JPG
    IMG_1746.JPG
    172.7 KB · Views: 175
  • IMG_1744.JPG
    IMG_1744.JPG
    149.6 KB · Views: 121
Have just ordered new fork tubes from mikes, along with some new fork seals, rear chain adjusters, brake pads and front wheel bearings. my wallet is now considerably lighter.

Has anybody used new tubes from mikes here with success?
saw one post with a guy not so happy with his new tubes. any success stories?
Cheers

Ground out the welds in the steering stem and knocked them out ready to switch them over today

Attachments

• IMG_1759.JPG
    IMG_1759.JPG
    184.9 KB · Views: 146
And now have got the front all together mocked up the steering stem to the right length, will weld it up tomorrow.

Attachments

• IMG_1761.JPG
    IMG_1761.JPG
    226 KB · Views: 147
Back