Replacing Brake Pads

Stuck Amals

XS650 Member
Reaction score
I can't seem to remove the front brake pads from my 1978 Special.

Does the caliper need to be removed, drained and disassembled?

have you pulled the #5 screw? this allows the caliper to lift off the carrier

Attachments

• FRONT_DISC_BRAKE-CALIPER.png
    FRONT_DISC_BRAKE-CALIPER.png
    19 KB · Views: 812
Do you have a repair manual? If not get one, it has the "How To" in it, even has pics.
Leo

XSLeo; My Haynes manual (650 twins 1970-1983) shows only the earlier caliper.Which manual do you have?

Jayel; Yes, I removed the phillips head screw?

IMG_2043.JPG IMG_2041.JPG IMG_2044.JPG IMG_2045.JPG IMG_2046.JPG IMG_2048.JPG IMG_2049.JPG IMG_2050.JPG Old thread I know, but maybe i can help the next person.

I must say that the clymer and Haynes manuals suck when it comes to pad replacement. 'take bolts out, replace pads' .... well it's not that simple for a newbie like me :) I have a 1980xs special btw.

Steps I took:
- Take reservoir cover off front MC. This reduces pressure in the line apparently.
- suck most of the fluid out, not all. The syringe I used for adding fork oil worked great.
- loosen the calliper nut (pic 1)
- take 2 bolts off fork to remove calliper unit
- remove the screw
- take pads out, good f#%^*g luck :)
- now remove the calliper nut and separate into two prices.
- pads are easily accessible now. Slide them out and take note of the order of things and the flat metal bracket things. My rear pad bracket is different than the front. See pics.
- put in a new shiny bottom bracket shim if you got one with your pads.
- putt the New pads in.
- re attach calliper pices, put calliper bolt back in. You need to apply downward pressure on the side with the shim to line up the bolt.
- put the screw back in. You will need a square wedge or wood shims to secure the pads tightly in position in order to get that screw back in.
- Put calliper back on the bike
- bleed brake line if you got air in... I did :(

Look at pic #2, with the pads completely squished together I still could not pull them out without first separating the calliper unit.

Thanks again to my buddy up north for the help!
G.

Slight amendment... just did the back breaks today. when putting the set screw back in, a wood clamp comes in handy to depress brass spring clip enough to get the set screw in the upper hole of break pad.

I’m glad I could help! I remember how tough that was. Sold my xs a couple years ago. I really miss it! On the hunt for an older one now 76 or 77. Have fun!!

Back